Vibrant, high contrast, blowouts/crushed blacks?

I want to try and replicate this "look" in the negative as much as is possible. Looks a bit like cross-processed reversal to me... and it looks like the colors and contrast were tweaked in post.. Can any of you suggest stocks/processing that would give me similar blow-outs and color saturation? Cross-processing is probably the best bet, but I don't have enough experience doing it with different stocks to judge which could work well for this sort of result. Test, test, test!, I know, but I'd like to have some idea of where to start. Bleach-bypass would give me the deep blacks but I want more color, not less. Thoughts?

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

cap3.jpg

• Premium Member

I think that this negative has been saturated and crushed in telecine, it's far to subtle and have none of the wild shifts of cross processed. It would be easy to achieve this look in there. I know it's nice to get stuff in camera, but why kill yourself trying to get it in camera when it's just a push of a button away? Even if this is a film for print, doing a DI would probably be cheaper than using reversal film (highway robbery that stock).

I also agree that the look of the example (from what I can tell) is too subtle to be cross processed. To do it photochemically, I'd test pushing 1 1/2 or 2 stops, with a thick negative. 5217 rated at 400 with +2 processing for example, printed down of course.

I also agree that the look of the example (from what I can tell) is too subtle to be cross processed. To do it photochemically, I'd test pushing 1 1/2 or 2 stops, with a thick negative. 5217 rated at 400 with +2 processing for example, printed down of course.

Indeed I tried something like this with 8552 a while back, it's a good look but these stocks have too much latitude.

I just saw the video these stills are from a few days ago, it's definitely been crushed and saturated in telecine. I'm still going to do a few tests to see how much pushing I can get away with on some well exposed kodak stocks.