Let me first say, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. It's just I'm not sure which camera to go with. I've narrowed it down to the Canon XL1s and the Pan DVX100a 24p.

I don't have anywhere to go to sit and down and hold these things and compare them in person, so i'm coming to you guys.

Little background of what I plan on doing with this camera is I'm going to start an event videography business (weddings and such). I however, want to create short films as well, the business will provide a means to pay for everything.

So, any comparisons that people can provide me I'd be much appreciated.

Excuse the lack of technical details in this post, but...

The Panasonic will give you a higher quality image than the Canon. It is a much newer camera and therefore has better image processing circuitry than that of the XL1S. In addition, it has the 24P mode, which is a major reason why it has gained so much popularity.

The Canon, however, can accept different lenses. Now this may or may not be something important to you, but I've heard that even the most expensive lens on an XL1 body will not get you the greatest image.

Honestly, if two people apply for an opening and one has an XL1/S, the other a DVX100, the person with the Canon would get the job. Why, you ask?

It's a bigger camera. It looks "pro." People want a guy behind a camera like an XL1/S, versus a Panasonic, which can easily be operated with one hand, if you wanted to.

In summary, the Panasonic will give you the best images, which, to me, is all that counts, but it may be a different situation in your case.

• Premium Member

Alvin makes some good points.

I have an XL1S and I do believe it has gotten me a few jobs because it looks "pro". But I also immediately lost the stock lens and replaced it with the 14x manual focus lens, which is the only Canon Pro glass that was ever made for that camera. It was one of their Pro line of lenses that they quickly adapted to fit the XL1 because Optex and Fujinon had teamed up and come out with a lens for that body. The image is far superior to the stock lens. Problem is, they aren't made any more and are getting rather hard to come by.

I also immediately put a Beachtek on it, not the one sold for the camera, which has wires hanging off all over the place, but the one made for the Sony TRV-900, which has a stereo output 1/8 inch mini plug that snakes up the right side of the lens and cleanly into the on board microphone socket (I also immediately lost the on board mic). Set up this way the camera has earned me a good deal of money.

I do believe the Panny is a "better" camera for the reasons Alvin stated. Newer technology, and the option of doing 24P. All the clients that I use the XL1S for, want NTSC video, so it is a non issue. And we have a 16mm camera for doing our own work. But if you could have only one camera, the Panny would do a better job of handling both. You will just need to convince people of what you can do with your reel, not your equipment. And that is the way you really should be doing it anyway.

-Tim

No comparison--the Panasonic DVX100A is superior. The XL-1s is actually secretly discontinued by Canon recently as they are supposedly soon to introduce a replacement, perhaps with HDV capability. This may or may not be better than the DVX100A, but right now that's top of the heap in the price range.

• 4 weeks later...

When shooting on miniDV I've only ever used a Sony PD150 and a Canon XL1. I found the XL1 a little awkward to handhold because of its front heaviness with the large lens (without all the extra accessories that you can get to make it more comfortable to hold) whereas I've always found the PD150 quite comfortable and easy to use with the LCD screen (though this is only a rough framing tool) - I think the Panasonic has an LCD?.... I'd suggest going to a shop and having a play with both to see how they feel and then looking at the footage played back to see what you prefer. My penny's worth...

Morgan

• Premium Member

The Panasonic is the way to go; I'm starting a feature in a few weeks with 2 of them using the mini35 adapters. The production was debating whether to go with XL's or DVX's; a few samples shot side by side quickly ended the debate.

While they don't look quite as "pro" as the slicker looking XL's, they are more user friendly and carry more options.

My $0.02.