WTB Arriflex 16S/B

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

I am looking for an Arriflex 16S/B, serial number above 15,000, body only. I will consider body and Schneider 10mm, 25mm, and 50mm lenses and or body and constant speed motor.

So if you have an S/B in any of those configurations that you would like to sell, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Tim

Here is the picture of the ARRI-Sinema Model 2006 I promised you. Shooting a feature in "nawlins" and working as the "B" Camera.

As previously mentioned Super 16/PL Mount/Fiber Optic Viewing screen.

LA Based- 1st AC Karl Waecher (Foreground)and Stedicam/OP Ari Robbins are pictured in prep in the "quarter" -they be good yall!

All of the camera crew and the director and the 1st AD keep running off with it with the pistol grip mounted. I am spooling down 400ft loads to 100 foot spools using the attachable mag.

With the update of the fiber optics viewing screen the switch between the SR and the Sinema is seamless and should be considered a essential part of a PL/S16 conversion.

This is the first feature length project the camera has worked on and has been a "trooper"

post-8736-1142613006.jpg

post-8736-1142613292.jpg

• Premium Member

Andy,

That looks really cool. Just out of curiousity, what is the serial number on that camera, before you converted it, can you still read it through the new paint, or do you happen to remember it?

Thanks,

-Tim

Tim, there's a guy selling his 16S/B on craigslist here in NY. http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/142969949.html I went and took a look at it, it has a serial # above 18000 and is really clean. But, the guy never used the mags or the torque motor. Also, I didn't get a chance to shoot a registration test with it but he gave me a 5' strip of color reversal he shot with it. I looked at it on a Cinescan and there's a scratch on the film. Doubled checked the Cinescan - it's the camera - in fact, the scratch is noticeable to the eye.

I didn't end up buying b/c of the scratch but also once the euphoria of finding a 16S/B wore off - prudence took over and the purchase didn't make sense for me business-wise.

He wanted to sell the whole thing in one package so I'm not sure if he's willing to part with the body only - but check it out and see what happens.

• Premium Member

Chien,

Thanks, I'll check that out. Can you tell me where the scratch on the film was? Running down the center, off to one side, along the sprocket holes?

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

The scratch is down the middle. It's about 60/40 - can't remember which side it was closer to. Somehow I can't find the strip. If I can find it, I'd be more than happy to mail you the strip for evaluation.

• Premium Member
The scratch is down the middle. It's about 60/40 - can't remember which side it was closer to. Somehow I can't find the strip. If I can find it, I'd be more than happy to mail you the strip for evaluation.

Chien,

I emailed the guy, it is a camera that is listed on eBay and it has some "issues" if you know what I mean. It is not in the greatest of shape and he is asking more than the market value for it. And it has alot of "junk" I don't need or want.

I am really kicking myself because a few weeks ago a guy was auctioning off a late model S/B with a constant speed motor, no lenses, or anything else, and it was in great condition, and the starting bid was $988, and no one bid on it. I was short on cash at the time but when I scraped together the money I contacted him and he had already sold it to a third party. Bummer.

-Tim

Thinking back, I did have somewhat of a bad feeling about that cam. He wouldn't let me thread it or load the mags - said "until you buy it, I'll touch it thank you". He wasn't thrilled about me checking focus calibration. At the time, I just chalked it up to him being some sort of anal retentive guy.

Sorry, I didn't mean to perpetuate a problem camera on you.

• Premium Member
Sorry, I didn't mean to perpetuate a problem camera on you.

No problem at all. I appreciate your trying to help me.

Here is a crop of the picture he sent me, it is also the picture from his eBay auction. It shows the wear and tear the camera has seen.

SBIssues.jpg

The way the foam is stuffed in the case and the corners rounded off show that it has had some pretty heavy use. And the variable speed motor shows heavy signs of wear. I have that same motor, mine was made in 1957, so it is just under 50 years old, and the paint and its function are both still very much intact.

If you are still interested in buying an Arriflex 16S or S/B and are considering eBay, I have a page on the Arri16S.com web site that has tips about just that.

Tips for Buying an Arriflex 16S, S/B, or St off of eBay.

Thanks again for your help Chien,

-Tim Carroll