HDR-fx1 vs Digi beta 900w

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member

Hi,

The digibeta camera will record about four times more data, as well as having much better optics. That said, the FX1 has much smarter compression and a much higher resolution original image to apply it to; digibeta codecs have no choice but to apply the same bitrate to a clear sky as they do to a tartan jacket or some other highly detailed area of the picture.

Really it's a tradeoff of resolution against postproduction ability. You can grade digi a lot more than you can grade HDV before it falls apart. What's the production?

Phil

• Premium Member
Hi,

The digibeta camera will record about four times more data, as well as having much better optics. That said, the FX1 has much smarter compression and a much higher resolution original image to apply it to; digibeta codecs have no choice but to apply the same bitrate to a clear sky as they do to a tartan jacket or some other highly detailed area of the picture.

Really it's a tradeoff of resolution against postproduction ability. You can grade digi a lot more than you can grade HDV before it falls apart. What's the production?

Phil

Thank you Phil,

Actually it's a documentary about a really old Greek singer (she is 100yrs old!).

I was asked by the director, and honestly I couldn't find any clear answers in me for this!

I am thinking of using Pro-mist's and diffusion, so detail level and contrast ratio is critical for me.

We have both cameras available, and he is thinking if we maybe do a film scan in the future.

Dimitrios Koukas

For a documentary I would go with a HDV camera hands down. The digi camera will be so intrusive....

I have done onlines from HDV on Avid with the DnxHD codec and the thing looks awesome. As long as the online system has the hardware to ingest HDV-HD-SDI you'll be safe. Grading wise, as long as the footage is well shot, I challange most people to tell me the camera it was shot on once the footage has been graded. Only an engineer with the right gear would say something. And if you shoot HDV your future proof your show. Digibeta is already a dying format and it will be a dead format in 3 years time once HD becomes the standard aquisition format for all channels.

You'll be able to sell your show if it was shot on a HD format, even if it is HDV. Nobody will want to pay money to see your SD show because it will look pants on a HDTV. You can always make an SD and HD version from your onlined HD footage...