Steadicam Interviews

I am currently a camera operator for a regional television station in Manchester England. I am writing my dissertation about the steadicam.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any links to recources about steadicam. I specifically need opinions of steadicam users to use as references within my critique.

Can anyone help me? It would be much appreciated.

Books, online articles, etc. would be a great.

Thanks,

Gr3ggy

As Mitch said, go to that site. As far as books goes, there's only written one real book on Steadicam so far.

http://www.theasc.com/cgibin/store/acsstor...catalogno=11114

I know this book is written by a former workshop participant. It's a book that interviews operators, it's not a "how to" book.

On steadicamforum.com you have operators like L. McConkey (Snake Eyes, Carlito's Way, Goodfellas), G. Brown (inventor of the steadicam), Jerry Holway (Donnie Brasco, As Good as it Gets) and the list goes on.

Good luck in your search.

Also check out this site:

http://www.steadishots.org/

Edited by Lars.Erik

I emailed garrett about 2weeks ago asking that very question but still heard nothing. Ive emailed him a few times since but still nothing.

I can only presume that he is very busy or hates students??? anyway thanks for the help so far guys, if any1 has any other help it would be much appreciated.

Gr3ggy :D

Guest Alexandre Lucena

Lars

steadishots.org is a wonderful source. Thank for the tip :rolleyes:

Alexandre

Guest coolbreeze
I can only presume that he is very busy or hates students???

He definitely DOESNT hate students! He is probably just very busy or maybe his firewall blocked all your emails. There was a series of articles called "Steadicam hits its stride" in American Cinematographer which are well worth a read but my memorys is so bad i cant remember when it was printed sorry - thinking early '90's.

The late Ted Churchill wrote some superb articles for AC on his use of steadicam for films like Bad Boys (sean penn not will smith) in the eighties and those would also be worth reading. Hope this helps,

I emailed garrett about 2weeks ago asking that very question but still heard nothing. Ive emailed him a few times since but still nothing.

I can only presume that he is very busy or hates students??? anyway thanks for the help so far guys, if any1 has any other help it would be much appreciated.

Try contacing Jerry Holway. He and Garret have been working together for years on different workshops and inventing new gear for the steadicam. Maybe he can get you in contact with Garret. Other than that, Jerry himself is also a great resource. I know he's the inventor of at least one steadicam arm.

http://www.jerryholway.com/