Kodak XL55 Super 8mm Camera.

VincentD.

I've just been offered a Kodak XL55 Super 8mm Camera via an online bargaining site.

I just wanted to give some information on the camera before I went any further. I was wondering if anybody could answer these questions:

A. What price is it worth?

B. I heard it can only accept a certain kind of Super 8 film, is this true, and if so what kinds?

C. I'm in highschool and am looking to shoot some shorts with this so I can get use to film and eventually work my way up to 16mm, would it be good for my needs?

D. Does it have 24 fps and zoom functions?

Thanks for anybody who can help me out!

I've just been offered a Kodak XL55 Super 8mm Camera via an online bargaining site.

I just wanted to give some information on the camera before I went any further. I was wondering if anybody could answer these questions:

A. What price is it worth?

B. I heard it can only accept a certain kind of Super 8 film, is this true, and if so what kinds?

C. I'm in highschool and am looking to shoot some shorts with this so I can get use to film and eventually work my way up to 16mm, would it be good for my needs?

D. Does it have 24 fps and zoom functions?

A. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it (certainly not more than $20)

B. Yes, it can only take Kodachrome 40 and Ektachrome 160 (both of which are no longer produced) - auto exposure only.

C. No, I'm sure you could find something a lot better suited to your needs. Have a look around the Super 8 Wiki. (personally I recommend the Canon 518SV as a good first camera but there are heaps of cameras that would be great for your purposes).

D. No 24fps (9fps and 18fps only) but yes 9-21mm zoom.

Also you might want to check out filmshooting.com for more advice on super 8.

Kodak XL 55

Year: 1972-74

Lens: Ektar 1,2 / 9 - 21 mm

Aerial Focusing

Manual Zoom

Frame rates: 9, 18

Shutter degree: 230

Auto Exposure (Not TTL)

No sound

Made in USA

Manufacturer: Eastman Kodak

The XL 55 cannot meter accurately with the Ektachrome 64T film but has non-reflex (non TTL) external light meters. If the camera reads the notch as 40ASA, use a ND 0.2 neutral density filter on the lens. If it reads the notch as 160ASA, use a ND 0.4 neutral density filter on the electric eye.

My suggestion would be to look for a camera that will meter Ektachrome 64T correctly and has the option of manual exposure.

Go ahead and buy it if it's going for cheap - at least it looks cool.

I've just been offered a Kodak XL55 Super 8mm Camera. ...

Don't pay too much for it. It does have a rangefinder for focus, good steady hand-holding, very high light efficiency and some other good features. It is fine for shooting ASA 160-200 film. Unfortunately it also has the rubbery plastic (or is it plastic-y rubber?) gear on the motor that turns to powder with age and without warning. (Its companion fixed-focal XL33 was one of my favorites, being wide angle only and not needing focusing, great for indoor home movies.) So if you get one, have another camera along as a backup in case the gear self-destructs.