Which flavor of HD when using other mixed video?

Jason Banker

Hi,

I am going to be working on a doc that is going to incorporate many different video formats. The core of the doc will be shot with HDV, but we already know that some existing footage is mini-dv. Also we want to use some clips from digital cameras as split screen elements at times.

My original thought was to use the JVC with its 24p, but taking into account using interlaced mini-dv, I now have some reservations. I really don't want to have to deal with a headache in post if I can make things easier up front. Will the Sony Z1 be a better choice, because its already interlaced?

Also as a side question, When Blu-Ray HD DVDs become the standard, is 1080p the main spec for delivery?

What I am trying to undestand is if I use interlaced footage from the Z1 will I have to eventually convert it to Progressive to deliver to Blu-Ray? I know all those HDTV people love their specs and can't shake the feeling that not having progressive will be a let down to them on a certain level.

And if I can squeeze one last question in..... Is there a different spec for NTSC HD and PAL HD?

If HD is 1920x1080 at 24p then what would the difference be? I assume it is that Pal would be 25P? What are the interlaced mode differences?

Thanks