Prints for Super8

Nate Downes

This seems to be one area where Super8 is lacking, the ability to make prints from a negative stock. While the neg is good for video transfer, I want to project my work, so I'd like a way to make Super8 prints, or prints to another size if need be. Or, another option would be to give me a method of making edits using video that could then be "matched-up" for a film print at 16 or 35mm.

• Premium Member

Although Kodak does sell VISION Color Print Film 3383 with Super-8 perforations (16mm wide, Super-8 1-3 format), it is used primarily on 16mm --> Super 8 continuous optical reduction printers. Few labs have retained the capability of actually contact printing Super-8. Super-8 professional production has evolved to being a capture format, that is almost always transferred to video or HD for editing, post-production, and distribution:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en.../colorPrint.pdf

• Premium Member

If you are using Super-8 in a professional application, video or a larger film format will likely be your distribution format. "Blow up" to a larger film format will be increasingly done via a Digital Intermediate.