K3 Wide Angle Lenses

Andy_Alderslade

Hi,

I need a fairly wide angle lens for a project using a K3, maybe something inbetween a 9.5 and 12mm - fairly fast (2.8 minimum say).

Any suggestions where i could find such a lens or maybe an adapter ring combination perhaps.

Cheers

Andy

Guest stoop
Hi,

I need a fairly wide angle lens for a project using a K3, maybe something inbetween a 9.5 and 12mm - fairly fast (2.8 minimum say).

Any suggestions where i could find such a lens or maybe an adapter ring combination perhaps.

Cheers

Andy

I will be writing a post tomorrow that will answer this question brilliantly. The best k3 ever - look out for it!

The main lens in that range that people use is the Peleng 8mm. Its somewhat "fisheye" on a 16mm camera but not nearly as much as it would be on a 35mm camera.

Unfortunately its an f3.5.

It can be found at many Russian camera importers like

http://www.kievusa.com/

I know of the Pelang lens - unfortunatly the distorted image looks slightly goofy and you can't realy reduce the depth of field as it isn't very fast.

• Premium Member
I know of the Pelang lens - unfortunatly the distorted image looks slightly goofy and you can't realy reduce the depth of field as it isn't very fast.

The distorted image is due to the 8mm-ness... it would be hard to find an 8mm lens that doesn't distort.

On depth of field, isn't that affected by the width has well? I have the 16mm lens and while there's no real distortion, there's not much depth of field. I have a 28mm lens that gives great depth when focused on closer objects. Even on the stock lens, the only way to get depth of field is to zoom in a little as well.

Have't run into and lenses between 9.5 and 12 for M42 mount, let us know if you find any.

• Premium Member
The distorted image is due to the 8mm-ness... it would be hard to find an 8mm lens that doesn't distort.

Zeiss Distagon 8mm T*2 has little to no distortion. Have no idea how Zeiss pulled it off, but that lens is absolutely amazing. Comes in an Arri standard mount which may not be adaptable for the K3, but there definitely are 8mm lenses that have little to no distortion.

-Tim Carroll

On depth of field, isn't that affected by the width has well? I have the 16mm lens and while there's no real distortion, there's not much depth of field. I have a 28mm lens that gives great depth when focused on closer objects. Even on the stock lens, the only way to get depth of field is to zoom in a little as well.

Have't run into and lenses between 9.5 and 12 for M42 mount, let us know if you find any.

Yea to avoid distotion at the edges its best to stick to a lens over a 9.5mm thats why i'm not too keen on using the Pelang, though I may well resort to it.

Yes depth of field is affected by the length, so theoreticly a wide lens has more depth of field but it can be conpensated by opening the iris to a low f-stop - say 2.8, 2, 1.4 and using NDs to correct the exposure. Thats why its important the lens is pretty fast.

I have a feeling there are no M42 mount lenses inbetween 8 and 16mm, so I was hoping someone could suggest a combination of adapter and lens, anyway looks like its up to Stoop to save the day

I haven't found any other than I think a Nikkon lens that's m42.. maybe there's more you can use with an adapter?? Anyhow I asked les bosher if an arri bayo to m42 adapter was possible and he said it's impossible.. I think the focal distance for m42 lenses is totally different from the arri mounts.. maybe it would go in too deep and the mirror would hit it.. i dont know.

• Premium Member
I haven't found any other than I think a Nikkon lens that's m42.. maybe there's more you can use with an adapter?? Anyhow I asked les bosher if an arri bayo to m42 adapter was possible and he said it's impossible.. I think the focal distance for m42 lenses is totally different from the arri mounts.. maybe it would go in too deep and the mirror would hit it.. i dont know.

The focal distance on all the Arri mount lenses, be it Arri standard mount, Arri bayonet mount, or Arri PL mount is 52mm. And a number of the ones I own are sculpted and cut away to just clear the rotating mirror in the Arriflex 16mm cameras. What does not make sense though is that they can be used with Aaton cameras, which I thought was also a 42mm focal distance.

-Tim

---The Peleg's distortion is due to it being a fish eye (ribi glaz) lens. It is designed for curvilinear perspective; while an 8mm Distagon is designed for rectilinear perspective, is is your classic renasissancs

perspective.

Depth of field is a function of focal length. I don't what you mean by width.

If your 16mm has less dpth of field than your 28mm and the 28mm exhibits greater depth of field when focused closer, there's something off in the lens/ camera combo. Probably in camera's lens mount.

M-42 is an obsolete still camera mount, so thse lenses are meant to cover 36mm x 24mm. Shorter focal lengths are going to be bigger than the same focal lengths designed for 16mm.

Pentax made a 15mm around the time they replaced M-42 with K mounts in the 70s. If you can find one, it will probably cost more than a pair of K-3s.

Sigma used to make a 14mm f2.8 or 4 in various mounts.

You won't find anything beteen 9.5 and 12.

Perhaps you should consider getting a Bolex or spring wound Beaulieu for shorter lens and use the K-3 for long lenses.

---LV

---The flange depth on arris is 52mm, the m-42 is 45.5mm.

However the diameter of an arri standard mount is 41mm, the bayonet is the same plus has those locking knobs too.

The M-42 diameter is 42mm. Surprise!

There is no room in there for an adaptor.

The Aaton's depth is 40mm and width is 50mm. Roomy

---LV

Edited by Leo A Vale

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

=I need a fairly wide angle lens for a project using a K3, maybe something inbetween a 9.5 and 12mm - =fairly fast (2.8 minimum say).

At first, you need answer, what lens mount have your K-3.

If your K-3 have bayonet mount, you can use 12.5 mm lens or modifed professional zoom lens 10-100 mm with front wide adapter 0.75. You will have zoom lens 7.5-75 mm.

From other side, you will have zoom lens with real profesisonal quality.

If you have K-3 with M42 screw mount, you can use Peleng 8 mm , but, you will have distortion, or any other photo lens. But, super wide photo lenses will have big price.

Olexandr.