Trailer

hello everyone.

here is the link to the trailer:

we shot on 7279 with a 16bl and zeiss highspeed primes.

the quality of the videofile is rather crappy, but you might get an idea.

comments are of course highly welcome.

greetings,

hello everyone.

greetings,

I liked it a lot!

One thing puzzled me a lot tho. Are you really allowed to have microwaves in your bathroom in Austria???

Here in England you wouldn't be even allowed to have a mains socket, let alone a microwave!!

...And why would someone have a microwave in their bathroom?

Well I liked the soundtrack a lot, it was very atmospheric. I don't have clue, even vaugely, what the film might be about however. For a moment I wondered if she was an abstract expressionist painter or a vampire. Then I decided maybe she had a chocolate fetish and was smearing chocolate on herself or something. For me this seems like a waste of good chocolate, but maybe she likes choclate but is on a diet or is anorexic, but still likes the feel and the smell of chocolate. I noticed that she filled her drink right to the brim perhaps to stop herself putting sugar in it, but then she can't resist it. She hesitates for a moment but then it is too much and she drops it in anyway. By the end of the trailer she is overcome by guilt and thinks she can't take it anymore. That's all I could work out from the trailer but I expect that is only a little part of the picture?

She has a nice bathroom I think, but smoking and flourecant lights will ruin your health, not to mention the possibility of suffering from a chocolate deficiency if you never eat any.

It looks like an interesting and nice film to me!

Are there many wide shots in the actual film?

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

hello everyone.

greetings,

Hey-

I think it looked great. I loved the use of color and lower levels of light. Composition was cool. Nice and moody.

Good work!

RBG

• Premium Member

I really liked the surprise in the first shot, as I didn't know what I was looking at, and the last shot with the girl crying seems so real, not as a (young) actor crying would usually look. good job. The music bordered on over the top for me, but that is my personal preference. it works.

• Premium Member
I liked it a lot!

One thing puzzled me a lot tho. Are you really allowed to have microwaves in your bathroom in Austria???

Here in England you wouldn't be even allowed to have a mains socket, let alone a microwave!!

(way off topic!) Haven't ground fault interrupters made it over the big pond? In the US there are electrical outlets that have internal circuitry that detects current flowing in the ground wire. You can drown a hair dryer in the bath with you and nothing happens other than the power shuts off instantly.

We're great on safety - unless you're unfortunate enough to be an Iraqi. :angry:

From Oklahoma - right smack in the middle of the USA

Hey Hal!

Aren't you going to give our friend alex a comment on his little trailer too!?? :)

(way off topic!) Haven't ground fault interrupters made it over the big pond? In the US there are electrical outlets that have internal circuitry that detects current flowing in the ground wire. You can drown a hair dryer in the bath with you and nothing happens other than the power shuts off instantly.

Yes we have those , tho to be fair wouldn't it be possible for the power to short thu the water but not into the ground wire? Either way, we now have devices that detect if there is an imbalance between the load on the live and neutral wires too or something.

But it's just not allowed. If you want electricity in the bathroom other than lighting, then it has to be connected to a special kind of permanenly wired wall conection. No plugs allowed. In theory I suppose you could wire a microwave into such a wall plate, but I'm not totally sure even that would be allowed.

You just aren't allowed mains sockets in the bathroom.

It's interesting how things are different in different places. The ending of the film "The inside man" doesn't make a lot of sense over here, as the architecture is completely different. It's a good film all the same tho. :)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

I liked it a lot!

damn... i hoped the microwave isn't too visible, too easy to point out there.

well that bathroom is actually my bathroom/kitchen... the gasoven and the basin are just out of frame at the right, so there are some power outlets too...

i don't know if this is somehow "approved", i just inherited the flat like that.

Well I liked the soundtrack a lot, it was very atmospheric. I don't have clue, even vaugely, what the film might be about however. For a moment I wondered if she was an abstract expressionist painter or a vampire. Then I decided maybe she had a chocolate fetish and was smearing chocolate on herself or something. For me this seems like a waste of good chocolate, but maybe she likes choclate but is on a diet or is anorexic, but still likes the feel and the smell of chocolate. I noticed that she filled her drink right to the brim perhaps to stop herself putting sugar in it, but then she can't resist it. She hesitates for a moment but then it is too much and she drops it in anyway. By the end of the trailer she is overcome by guilt and thinks she can't take it anymore. That's all I could work out from the trailer but I expect that is only a little part of the picture?

She has a nice bathroom I think, but smoking and flourecant lights will ruin your health, not to mention the possibility of suffering from a chocolate deficiency if you never eat any.

you made laugh quite hard here...

i hate to tell you but the chocolate theory is quite off....

the story bases on greek mythology, with some other wierd historical references weaved into the script.

like the minotaurus is trapped in a spacial labyrith, she is trapped in a labyrinth of time.

the films title means "ramifications" in english, which is means ramifications of time, not space.

at the end realizes that the only way out is death.

i always have a hard time describing the script (i didn't write and never fully understand) in my mothertongue, but this was extra hard.

phew.

It looks like an interesting and nice film to me!

Are there many wide shots in the actual film?

love

Freya

thanks a lot.

no, there arent, we had a set of zeiss highspeed primes (12, 16, 25 and 85mm) and one crappy angieneux 5,9mm that basically fell apart during shooting. we put i together again somehow and i only used it twice, when there wasnt enough space to get the desired shot with the 12mm...

why do you ask?

I thought it looked nice. Maybe not nice as in pleasant, but nice as in well crafted. I thought your compositions were interesting and your color palette disturbingly appropriate.

Cheers!

yeah, nice as pleasant wasn't really our goal...

thanks a bunch!

Hey-

I think it looked great. I loved the use of color and lower levels of light. Composition was cool. Nice and moody.

Good work!

RBG

thanks!

the light level was indeed low, thanks to 7279's 500asa. we had a making of guy on board and he kept complaining that he had to shoot with +9db and/or 12fps on his canon xm2 .. B)

I really liked the surprise in the first shot, as I didn't know what I was looking at, and the last shot with the girl crying seems so real, not as a (young) actor crying would usually look. good job. The music bordered on over the top for me, but that is my personal preference. it works.

well, i'm glad you didn't see the microwave in the first shot... that's a rather stupid mistake, since the room which actually is a kitchen with a bathtub is supposed to an "only bathroom"... because we shot the kitchen scenes in another kitchen.

yeah, the crying was really good. .. i think she did an overall very good job, considering that she's only a semi-professional as far as i know..

the music... i didn't cut the trailer nor choose any music...

well, i wouldn't listen to that at home while reading a nice book with a glass of good red wine in my hand, but just like you said, i also think that it works.

thank you all!

(except for hal who seems to be obsessed with electricity ;) )

Really like it!! I've watched it 3 times! I really didn't need to know exactly what its about because I assumed the trailer was sort of a teaser. Great set design and use of the practical lighting (or enhancing of the practicals) really worked at creating a claustrophobic/isolated atmosphere...if thats what u were going for...:)

Good job...Questions: what do you planning on doing with the finished film, is the footage color-timed or is it the raw footage, and how did you get the widescreen ratio...just cropping in post?

Congrats and good luck!!!

Really like it!! I've watched it 3 times! I really didn't need to know exactly what its about because I assumed the trailer was sort of a teaser. Great set design and use of the practical lighting (or enhancing of the practicals) really worked at creating a claustrophobic/isolated atmosphere...if thats what u were going for...:)

Good job...Questions: what do you planning on doing with the finished film, is the footage color-timed or is it the raw footage, and how did you get the widescreen ratio...just cropping in post?

Congrats and good luck!!!

thanks a lot! yeah, it's surely more of teaser, but i'm happy to hear that you liked it that much.

well, the sets weren't exactly designed by us, since we had no money for that, we've just been location scouting some time...

and the lightning, yes it was only practical lighting. some locations gave me a bit more freedom with moving the lights, and the others basically fitted as they were.. like the kitchen.. i only added a little fill with a 11w compact flouro bulb, just to keep the style :)

and yes, isolated was exactly the atmosphere we tried to create. yay!

well, the teaser footage is only slightly corrected as far as i know.

we made a one light transfer, since we couldn't afford more, and we'll work from there with probably after effects' color correction at home....

and yes, the widescreen thing is only cropping.. unfortunately we had to shoot on normal16, since a super16cam wouldve been way over budget.

Guest LondonFilmMan

Haspel:

This trailer might have given us a clearer idea of the story....instead I felt that it didn't. Might it be too weird? You know........ it was hard to know what to critique when the whole thing was so abstract.

There was something there, I think you got the feeling you wanted right, but I think you went off tangent.

The latter half of the trailer was better than the first half.

I think one drag on the cigarette was enough, not two.

Good luck.

Edited by LondonFilmMan

Haspel:

This trailer might have given us a clearer idea of the story....instead I felt that it didn't. Might it be too weird? You know........ it was hard to know what to critique when the whole thing was so abstract.

There was something there, I think you got the feeling you wanted right, but I think you went off tangent.

The latter half of the trailer was better than the first half.

I think one drag on the cigarette was enough, not two.

Good luck.

well, as i stated before i didn't cut the trailer (actually more a teaser).. i just shot it.

i had no influence on everything you mentioned.

but thanks anyways...

Was that a tribute to Kieslowski using the sugar cube like that or had you just thought of it yourself? I do indeed like the atmosphere created by the whole thing. Looks quite interesting.

yeah, the sugarcube thing was kieslovski tribute the director wanted to do. i haven't seen the movie tho.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How did you like working with the Arri BL?

I'm thinking about getting one.

Was it noisy and was it hard to focus?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

well, we shot with unblimped zeiss highspeed primes, so it was extremely noisy, but good to focus, since they allow follow focus being used, which is not an option with the stock blimp.

I also wanted to say that I enjoyed the trailer. I really liked the low lightning. (Reminded me of the Pusher films by Winding Refn, don't know why.)

The music was disturbing (which was nice.)

I'm actually looking forward the final product.

Good job!

Edited by Sakari S

I also wanted to say that I enjoyed the trailer. I really liked the low lightning. (Reminded me of the Pusher films by Winding Refn, don't know why.)

The music was disturbing (which was nice.)

I'm actually looking forward the final product.

Good job!

thanks a lot.

if i remember correctly the premiere is announced to be on june 11th, so the final product should be completed on probably the 10th ... ;)

The cinematograpy was deceint but the trailer didn't get me interested in the movie which is the whole point of a trailer. I couldn't tell what you were trying to sell this film as. I couldn't even really tell what genra of film it was. If I had to make a guess I'd say a charature driven drama but that's more of a guess from the style rather than the content I saw in the trailer Quite frankly, it was boring except for the mood music and the fact the girl was implied to be naked. I'd recut it and make it more intriguing so people will want to see your picture.

Hi,

I really liked it! Talk about moody. Dare I say it? It seemed to have a definite European arthouse sensibility which I liked alot or was that just the moody music that was used for the 'teaser'? Can you post the entire film when it is finished?

Good work! Really look forward to seeing the whole film.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I really liked it! Talk about moody. Dare I say it? It seemed to have a definite European arthouse sensibility which I liked alot or was that just the moody music that was used for the 'teaser'? Can you post the entire film when it is finished?

Good work! Really look forward to seeing the whole film.

thanks a lot, morgan.

of course you dare to say that, i definately consider it a compliment.

and, i will of course post the entire film when it's finished.

and you are all of course invited to the premiere (in vienna <_< ) ...