First time on 16mm, first music video

Guest James Westbrook

Guest stoop

Thought I would do a series of posts from the start of production through to the final finished product. Hope you guys find this interesting. I'm only 23 so a great learning curve it has been!!!!

Ok, first post ? lets talk about the camera.

I wanted a cheap 16mm camera with a wide angle zoom lens and a budget video tap. They don't really exist - so I made my own.

I bought this k3 of eBay for £120 and fortunately it ran ok. I purchased the lens from some guy in Russia; it?s a 7.5mm ? 75mm from a Kinor 16, which is based on a Zeiss model. This lens is amazing; forget your distorted 8mm peleng! I then sent the lens to Olex from http://www.geocities.com/russiancamera/index.htm who set the flange focal distance and modified to fit my bayonet k3. Olex is an extremely helpful, talented and honest man who did a fab job. I also sent the body to him as well. He continued to remove the loop formers, cleaned the ground glass, re set the flange focal distance and gave the whole thing a good polish. The matte box is made by Lee Filters. I modified the inside and also made up some custom-made lens support bars. All filters are placed at the rear of the lens. I also wanted a video tap to make tracking shots easier. A small security camera is connected to a small LCD monitor. Both items run off a special 12volt battery. The screen is only used for framing.

Check out the pics!

k8.jpg

k7.jpg

k6.jpg

k5.jpg

k4.jpg

k3.jpg

k2.jpg

k1.jpg

Any questions - fire away

Next post will be the first day of shooting

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you shot any test footage you could show? and if you don't mind me asking what was your cost for everything? anythought of getting a crystal sync if you could find one?

I just got a K-3 and basically want to use yours for a model guide. also where did you get the lens and how much? i can't stand this fricken zoom lens.

kirk

Guest stoop

I have just shot 1200ft on this. Looks amazing - but more on that later.

The camera cost me about £1000 to put together.

If I could find a cyrstal sync I would use it, but I used it for a music video so the sync was slightly less important.

This camera will be on ebay in a few weeks. It's sad, but I must gain back some of the 2k I spent on the video.

Cheers

Guest stoop

Yes it is the 10-100mm with the wide angle adaptor. I tested the camera with and without the adapter and couldn't see any difference in sharpness.

Edited by stoop

Yeah, when I found out I had a bayonette k3 I was gutted. But I turned it around to my advantage

Bayonette? dam was gonna ask if i could hire the lens from you.

How much do you reckon the lens cost in total?

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

Guest stoop
Bayonette? dam was gonna ask if i could hire the lens from you.

How much do you reckon the lens cost in total?

Well the intial cost including modification of the lens and camera and the adjustment of the flange focal distance plus the postage of sending everything around europe was probably about £450. It was a headache but it was deff worth it. I'm putting the whole lot on ebay in a few weeks.

Well the intial cost including modification of the lens and camera and the adjustment of the flange focal distance plus the postage of sending everything around europe was probably about £450. It was a headache but it was deff worth it. I'm putting the whole lot on ebay in a few weeks.

Is the camera regular 16? Also, can you please post any clips, when you get them back?

last question, given that the camera only take 100' daylight spools and is wind up, do you think that it was worth it all? I have a Super 16 K-3 and can only see investing in lenses.

Guest stoop

I will be posting up the finished video hopefully next week. It's regualr 16 - I cropped it to 16:9 during telecine. Was it worth it? For music video's I would say yes absolutely. 1200ft ran as smooth as silk - perfect registration. For anything larger scale I would say upgrade to an eclair or something.

Guest stoop
What kind of system specifically did you use to make the monitor?

The small camera is a security camera which has a 6mm manual focus lens. About £40 including postage from ebay. The LCD monitor is a 6" screen that usually is fiited into the back of car head rests, about £50 from ebay. Both of these run off a 12 volt rechargable battery, about £30. I can get quiet a few hours from this set up. The quality isn't amazing but is fine for framing. Hope this helps

Guest stoop

FIRST DAY OF SHOOTING

The first day started badly, I had a blow out on the motorway, front tyre at 70mph. I had to off-load all my kit onto the hard shoulder to get to the spare wheel. This delayed us by an hour.

The location was amazing. We were fiming in the cellars of this great house.

kit-1-.jpg

I used a 4ft 4 bank kino flo for my key. I have never used this light before, but I was amazed with how well it worked

kit-location.jpg

You can see my handy video assist in action. It worked really well for tracking shots

kit-location-2-.jpg

The day ran out of time, I under-estimated the amount of time it took to cart all the gear through the house and back. I didn't film all that i wanted to which was a shame, but the day ran pretty smooth. No camera jams, no fuses blown etc

A couple of screen grabs from the day. They are dv compressed.

kit-grab1-.jpg

kit-grab-2--.jpg

• Premium Member

As a dedicated DIY'er, my hat is off to you. Not only does your one-off K3 seem to work great, it looks like it came out of someone's factory - totally professional in appearance. I've got some grandiose plans for my Arri II not unlike what you've accomplished - you're a great inspiration.

As a dedicated DIY'er, my hat is off to you. Not only does your one-off K3 seem to work great, it looks like it came out of someone's factory - totally professional in appearance. I've got some grandiose plans for my Arri II not unlike what you've accomplished - you're a great inspiration.

Screen shots look pretty awesome.

WHat film did you use and what proces was it?

Looks a little cross processed, or was that a filter in Final Cut?

alex

www.alexardenti.com

Guest stoop
Screen shots look pretty awesome.

WHat film did you use and what proces was it?

Looks a little cross processed, or was that a filter in Final Cut?

Film was KODAK VISION2 500T 7218 processed normally

The look was acheived in telecine. Added lots of green, crushed the blacks etc.

Cheers

Guest stoop

Day 2

The second day of shooting went ok. Exterior shots in London. I made some mistakes with not enough fill in places, and once again prob not enough cut aways. I also forgot my ND filters that day, so some shots came back over exposed.

PICT0013.jpg

We also did some traking shots from the back of the car which worked very well.

PICT0001.jpg

A small selection of grabs from the second day. They are dv compressed and then jpg compressed - hense the quality.

Cheers

kit-urban-test.jpg

kit-test-5.jpg

kit-test-3.jpg

Guest stoop

Where are u getting you k3 from????, please don't tell me from "lemiu" - ebays most dodgy k3 seller. Don't buy from this guy!!!!

If I could find a cyrstal sync I would use it, but I used it for a music video so the sync was slightly less important.

how do you figure? i always thought wild syncing dialogue was a piece of cake while music videos shot without crystal are a pain to edit. perhaps you didn't have any lip sync? congrats on your nice setup though. looks great.

great stills. fantastic location. did you use diffusion or is that the lens flaring slightly? i like it.

/matt

Edited by mattias

Guest stoop
how do you figure? i always thought wild syncing dialogue was a piece of cake while music videos shot without crystal are a pain to edit. perhaps you didn't have any lip sync? congrats on your nice setup though. looks great.

great stills. fantastic location. did you use diffusion or is that the lens flaring slightly? i like it.

/matt

60% of the video is going to be in sync. I made sure we made lots of short takes, and going to edit the shots quickly if anything starts going out of sync. Crystal sync would have been alot better I agree.

I would think that a 30 second close up of someone talking would require a crystal sync more than a fast cutting pop video.

Some of the shots have a 'glow' filter - which makes for a nice effect. It also reduces the grain

Glad you liked the stills