First time on 16mm, first music video

Guest James Westbrook

I would think that a 30 second close up of someone talking would require a crystal sync more than a fast cutting pop video.

for sure, but i was thinking of ease of editing. for music videos i like to sync up every take on a separate track and edit multi camera style. having to sync up every edit manually is a pain, especially if you have a director and a client next to you asking for quite major changes while they're watching. the fastest i've ever edited a video was in four hours and the slowest took over a week. and the first was better paid too and got way more airtime. if you value your time that crystal sync unit will pay for itself in no time. :-)

/matt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stoop

mattias

I actaully drew some inspiration for this video from a pop promo i think you directed. I think it's been taken offline, I'm sure it was on family planning. A young band, the film finished in a red room.

Here's a still

Movie-Clipping-6.jpg

It looked nice however, what camera/lenses/stock did you use??

arri sr2, angenieux 12-120 (iirc), fuji f-400, telecine on an ancient rank mk3.

It was also a great tune

for sure. they deserve all the fame they're getting, which in japan is quite a lot. ;-)

/matt

How are you acheiving critical focus? Are you removing the camera, or using the camera, and if so, does it really provide enough res with that monitor to be able to tell? I found it hard with a dv camera hooked into a cheapo TFT LCD to see enough res to make a critical focus adjustment, maybe you wouldnt mind explaining this area, also which camera and LCD you are using.

Also, with the vid tap and everything else, doesnt it make the already painful film changing even take longer? How are you dealing with this?

Thanks for the inspiration though, I love my little K3... I just won a cinematography award with it!

Guest stoop
How are you acheiving critical focus? Are you removing the camera, or using the camera, and if so, does it really provide enough res with that monitor to be able to tell? I found it hard with a dv camera hooked into a cheapo TFT LCD to see enough res to make a critical focus adjustment, maybe you wouldnt mind explaining this area, also which camera and LCD you are using.

Also, with the vid tap and everything else, doesnt it make the already painful film changing even take longer? How are you dealing with this?

Thanks for the inspiration though, I love my little K3... I just won a cinematography award with it!

I used the small camera for framing only and not for focus. The image quality was pretty good, but i wouldn't rely on for focus. Both the LCD screen and the camera can be found on ebay, i'll post up some links if i have time.

With regards to changing film, the only thing i needed to take off the camera was the lcd screen. It is fixed via velcro and so is very quick to remove.

Tell me more about what you shot with your K3, could u post up some screen grabs, or a link to some footage?

Cheers

60% of the video is going to be in sync. I made sure we made lots of short takes, and going to edit the shots quickly if anything starts going out of sync. Crystal sync would have been alot better I agree.

I would think that a 30 second close up of someone talking would require a crystal sync more than a fast cutting pop video.

Some of the shots have a 'glow' filter - which makes for a nice effect. It also reduces the grain

Glad you liked the stills

60% of the video is going to be in sync. I made sure we made lots of short takes, and going to edit the shots quickly if anything starts going out of sync. Crystal sync would have been alot better I agree.

Some of the shots have a 'glow' filter - which makes for a nice effect. It also reduces the grain

Glad you liked the stills

I just bought a Bealieu R16 and am contemplating getting a crystal sinch motor, but don't really want to spend the money on it.

Do you think that the camera would slow down instead of keeping 24p constant for more that 30 secs of dialogue?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

Get the crystal sync, well worth the money. Dialouge will be a nightmare otherwise.

IIRC the Beaulieu R16 has an electric motor, it's not crystal but it will stay in sync for longer than a clockwork camera. The R16 used to use pilotone for sync. Trouble is that it's not very quiet so you may end up having to jam sync the dialogue anyway even with a crystal motor.

love

Freya

IIRC the Beaulieu R16 has an electric motor, it's not crystal but it will stay in sync for longer than a clockwork camera. The R16 used to use pilotone for sync. Trouble is that it's not very quiet so you may end up having to jam sync the dialogue anyway even with a crystal motor.

---Pre 1964 R16s are clockwork/spring wound.

This is unfortuneately in French:

http://www.beaulieu-images.com/

click on historique, then historique de cameras.

I have one onwhich my brother bent the turret by forcing on a lens which didn't have enough back clearence.

It does have an auxillary motor. Apparently the R16, the 1956 mdel, had a supplentary CinemScope viewfinder where the light meter is in later models.

The spring wind model doesn't have the overly delecite elcronics of the later models.

---LV

Guest stoop

Last day of the shoot - night-time!!!!

I was a bit nervous because I was under-exposing by a full stop the whole time. I did think about push processing but was advised not to. Everything came out ok, the stills do look a little grainy - but when in motion look pretty good. It was regualr 16 cropped to 16:9. Stock was vision 2 500 asa. One thing I do love is the mixture of different colour temps!

It was deffinitely fun, shooting out of a car window whilst driving around two birth in the center of brighton. Good times.

I do wish I could have done a better job, but for a first time on 16mm on a russian wind up camera, it's pretty good i guess

A few more grabs for u guys.

The set up

kit-night-5-.jpg

kit-night-4-.jpg

Some grabs

kit-car-7.jpg

kit-night-6.jpg

kit-night-3-.jpg

Edited by stoop

• Premium Member

James,

That is truly impressive. Congratulations.

Question about your video tap, I would like to make up something similar for my Arri 16S. First, would it be possible for you to put a link to the type of camera you got on eBay? I have been checking there and there are thousands of different types. Second, are you focusing the camera on the ground glass of the K3, or are you shooting the video camera throught the viewfinder and then onto the ground glass? I have my S set up so I can connect a camera right to the ground glass if I can find one that is manual focus and can focus down to about two or three inches.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and congrats again on your set up and music video.

-Tim

Guest Ole Dost

Whre did you get the matte box? I´m owning the Kinor with this same zoom lens you are using for your modified K3 and I always wanted a matte box -but I wasn´t able to get one. Who offers matte boxes for this lens and what is the price?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ole

Ole.Dost@t-online.de

I have just shot 1200ft on this. Looks amazing - but more on that later.

The camera cost me about £1000 to put together.

If I could find a cyrstal sync I would use it, but I used it for a music video so the sync was slightly less important.

This camera will be on ebay in a few weeks. It's sad, but I must gain back some of the 2k I spent on the video.

Cheers

Guest stoop

This is a link to the video camera http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I was focusing throught the view finder and then on to the ground glass. I only used the camera for framing.

"Whre did you get the matte box? I´m owning the Kinor with this same zoom lens you are using for your modified K3 and I always wanted a matte box -but I wasn´t able to get one. Who offers matte boxes for this lens and what is the price?

Thanks a lot for your help!"

The matte box is from Lee's Filters, although it needs quite a bit of modification to prevent vignetting

• 2 months later...
Guest stoop

Ok, well the video is finally online

check it out here http://www.kitashton.com/video.htm

u need quicktime 7

Ok, it's not amazing, there are some obvious bad bits - exposure/sync/lighting etc

But it's not too bad considering it was the first time i have picked up a film camera and shot it on a K3

We also only shot about 22 minutes because of budget

Would be glad to hear your thoughts

Cheers

James

u need quicktime 7

Ok, it's not amazing, there are some obvious bad bits - exposure/sync/lighting etc

But it's not too bad considering it was the first time i have picked up a film camera and shot it on a K3

Cheers

James

Bravo! Very well done. I think your framing, exposure and edits are very well done. Considering it was very low budget, it looks a lot more expensive than it probably was. I am curious, is your K3 Super 16 or did you matte the frame? Did you have to put the tap on and take it off often? Was that a hassle? I ask because I own two S16 K3s and want to shoot some music videos with them. Your set up is inspiring. In terms of editing, I would have stayed on the musician a bit longer when he was playing guitar, just long enough to see him play through a cord. Just me. Sort of a visual/ psychological thing that brings the audience in a bit more when they see an action carried out. Gives it more substance. I know I am being a bit picky, but it was really very good. I also would regrade the outdoor stuff, have it be closer in constrast to the indoor stuff. Bravo! What is next?

Nice - really impressed that was achievied on a k3, you really give the impression of a much larger proffesional production.

Common' though that surely wasn't the first time you shot with a film camera? ;)

Makes me wanna go and shoot a music video with a k3 right now (but recovering from a shoulder op so can't), have you sold on your k3 now? ;)

Guest Paul Wizikowski

Very nice. The looks are well done. I really like your telecine choices. You mind giving a list of what it took to pull off the shoot, specifially what lighting gear and crew. It seems you were practically a one-man-band.

Guest BradH

u need quicktime 7

Cheers

James

I'm unable to get anything from the link. Just a black screen with a title...nothing to select??

I'm unable to get anything from the link. Just a black screen with a title...nothing to select??

Looks great to me are you running Quicktime

Great video James I have worked on some big ones in my time and with the gear you had at your disposal

you have produced a cracker

Don

Sound Mixer/Video Assist and collector of Camera's

Boston Lincs

Guest stoop

Thanks for all tyhe replys

'I am curious, is your K3 Super 16 or did you matte the frame?"

It's just matted, although matted during telecine.

"Did you have to put the tap on and take it off often? Was that a hassle?"

I only used the tap for tracking shots, so it was fine.

"Common' though that surely wasn't the first time you shot with a film camera?"

Yeah it was actually LOL!!

"have you sold on your k3 now?"

It's going on ebay hopefully today

"You mind giving a list of what it took to pull off the shoot, specifially what lighting gear and crew. It seems you were practically a one-man-band"

Yeah I was pretty much. I had a friend who helped me set up lights in the celler shots. We used a 4ft 4 bank kino for key with numerous red heads dotted around - it was fun!!!! We used a kino car kit for the car shots running off batteries.

"I'm unable to get anything from the link. Just a black screen with a title...nothing to select??"

You deff sure your running quicktime 7? Maybe try another browser

Many thanks guys!!

James

p.s - anybody notice the still frame of a sewer. The pic was taken in london, pretty much under harrods LOL!!!

"I'm unable to get anything from the link. Just a black screen with a title...nothing to select??"

You deff sure your running quicktime 7? Maybe try another browser

I was having the same problem,no idea what's causing it, but you can see it directly here:

http://www.orangeroommusic.co.uk/kitvid.mov

obviously without the nice black background.

How did you deal with the framing James? Did you work to common topline or mask the video monitor top and bottom?

love

Freya

Guest stoop
I was having the same problem,no idea what's causing it, but you can see it directly here:

http://www.orangeroommusic.co.uk/kitvid.mov

obviously without the nice black background.

How did you deal with the framing James? Did you work to common topline or mask the video monitor top and bottom?

love

Freya

I just framed 4:3 with an eye for a 16:9 frame

My thoughts are if something is framed correct in 4:3, then whatever ratio you crop over the top, composistion should remain perfect.

Also, when cropping u have a little tolerance in adjusting the matte

Cheers

• Premium Member

For anyone having a problem viewing the video like me, you can link over to Kit Ashton's website then link over to his myspace page where he has the video.

Looked good, I like all the color tempteratures.

BT