Underwater snorkel or T Rex lens system?

Adam Frisch FSF

• Premium Member

Hi.

I have an upcoming shoot with some very specific imagery that I need to capture. It's basically capturing

macro and close-ups of a womans face suspended in water. We're going to shoot it in a tank and there is

also a overhad shot involved. But basically, all the underwater stuff is near, or just below the surface.

In order for me to be flexible, and stable, at such shallow depth of fields we're talking about here, I figured a Lens Relay System or snorkel on a jib or a crane would be the best choice. I've used both the T Rex system and the Revolution system (but I prefer the T Rex system).

Now to my question. I recall that some of these systems allows you to waterproof the lens with some accessory so that you can actually dip it into that water, and/or shoot at water level. Basically, kind of thread the whole thing in a condom with a clear glass for the lesn. Has anybody got any experience in this regard, because I can't find it mentioned on any of the websites of the manufacturers.

Also, I seem to particularly remember a brand of persicope maker where you were allowed to stick PL lenses

on. Was that the Century Periscope one? Because I'd prefer if I could hang a macro lens on there of my own choice rather than having to stick cumbersome diopters on their design.

Actually found that Innovision Optics Probe II is waterproof. But it's not the most ideal system, so if you have any other suggestions or experiences to share, I'd be grateful.

Have a look at the Century Low Angle Prism. I haven't used it for an under water shot yet, but i think it can be properly sealed to work at a depth just under the surface.

And in case the sealing wasn't that good it's cheaper than a snorkel... ;)

Hi

I've been down the low angle prism route and we had real problems with lens fogging. With all that glass and mirrors it couldn't handle the moisture. I have indeed worked with a T-Rex underwater housing which consists of a kit of varying lengths of ribbed flexi-tubing with a circular watertight optical flat which fits nicely onto the taking lens and covers the whole lens barrel. Did the job, but a nightmare to focus as a floating subject is hard to control in a macro situation. I got this housing from Vantage Films in Germany for a shoot in Spain. Give me a couple of days and i'll post you their number.

As for the PL lens taking periscope I think the one you mean is the Century Optics Series 2000 MkII Periscope/Boroscope. Not as 'long' physically as the T-Rex so it might not be as practical when working from the water's surface. BUT. The T-Rex is a T7.1 lens and the Century, T4. Remember also with the Century that if you have it in boroscope mode the image will photograph upside down on the neg.

Regards

Tammo