northeast telecine assist jobs

Guest JohnG

Guest JohnG

I'm a newbie to the forum and found it while searching for answers to this question.

I've been an assistant editor/editor for 12 years in the new york area. I've always wanted to get into the film preservation/restoration industry. I was recently layed off from my last company after 8 years, and now i'd like to make the move into that field. I thought starting out as a telecine assist would be a good start, and recently interviewed for such a position, with no results. can anyone give me any advice on how to go about finding a start towards this career? I have been reading eveything i can about DI's and scanning till im blue in the face, but how do i get the experience i need?

thanks for any help

• Premium Member

There's only so much one can do in telecine to restore a film. Perhaps you should enroll in a course to learn

to operate the software Smoke/Flame/Fire/Inferno or Apple's Shake? They're probably more used today (and if they're not, they def will be) for restoration work. Naturally, a good knowledge of color correction in TK environment is also useful, so the best would probably be a combiantion of both.

There's a company called Cineric in NY that does a lot of restoration, maybe you should talk to them?

Guest JohnG
There's only so much one can do in telecine to restore a film. Perhaps you should enroll in a course to learn

to operate the software Smoke/Flame/Fire/Inferno or Apple's Shake? They're probably more used today (and if they're not, they def will be) for restoration work. Naturally, a good knowledge of color correction in TK environment is also useful, so the best would probably be a combiantion of both.

There's a company called Cineric in NY that does a lot of restoration, maybe you should talk to them?

Funny you should mention cineric. I have been in contact with them for moths, literally since even before i was layed off in june. they are gearing up for more digital storage and have been having trouble with some bugs in the system they are using. Eventually, they might get me in there to do some training hopefully, but have my doubts if it will ever happen. I do have some fire/smoke experience from my last job. I have lobbied the major DI houses in new york for awhile now, but no luck there. After reading your reply, i think I might be on the right track, just frustrated that things aren't falling into place like i'd like them to, but such is life i guess. thanks for the reply & advice.

It may be harder than you think. a friend of mine who is a colorist at a well known NYC post house was recently promised a move into DI work and then was told they went outside and hired someone else. he has been a colorist for over 5 years and he was looking forward to the change and new challanges. He has tried to put aside his dissapointment. I tried to tell him to be patient. If this new guy doesn't work out he could be up next.

But If I were you I would contact all the post houses and somehow get your foot in the door. Even if it isn't a job you want right away and you may have to work the night shift.

Also consider LA. For post work there is a lot more work out on the left coast and the salaries for colorists are much higher on average.

Best

Tim

Edited by heel_e