Vision2 7229 v. 7218

I would value your advice on differences between Kodak Vision2 500T Expression 7229 and 7218.

I am about to shoot my first 16mm film. It involves day for night shooting in a forest and lake, night shoot campfire, interior in a club and day exterior on city and country streets. I will probably use the same stock throughout.

Thank you

Taina

I had to make this choice yesterday. 7229 is a nice stock, ofcourse, but it's known to not be a saturated as the '18, meaning details in all the shadows and weak colors.

the '18 is a nice higher contrast stock, compared to the 29

Check this out actually, http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...omparison.jhtml

I had faced this problem a couple of weeks ago when choosing stock for my film. 7229 v 7218. Ive seen Kodak's demo DVD for the new vision 2 series, and 7229 looks really grainy. The stock is actually pretty good if shot on 35mm ie using 5229, but on 16mm the grain is really bad. I used 7218 eventually and during the telecine transfer i asked the colorist to desaturated the colors, the end product is pretty similar to what 7229 have to offer, but the grains are much finer :-p

• Premium Member

For night shooting, go with the 7218, especially if you are going to have film prints too. The 7229 is a bit lower in contrast, and very well suited to telecine and scanning, where you have some flexibility in adjusting the tone scale and "pegging" the black level. But for night scenes, the 7218 will normally give a "richer" black.

7229 has similar granularity to 7218, but grain is usually more visible in the shadows of a lower contrast image.

I thought all vision2 stocks are low in contrast, they all look pretty smooth to me, sometimes they look like watercolor to me, even in prints. It was very cool look to see for the first few years, but now I miss the edgier grittier look of EXR movies. I'm probably a rare breed of movie goers that cares about such things or even notices it though.

It's just that, when I look at prints, even optical, I feel as if I'm watching a giant DVD, prints from these new films don't have the edge they used to have I think.