What i a video tap?

Lucía Pérez S.

It is a small video camera that attaches to the viewing system of a film camera. It usually involves a pellicule or prism that steals a bit of the light from the viewfinder to get the image to the video camera. This signal can then be sent to a monitor so that people can see the frame with putting an eye to the film camera's viewfinder.

• Premium Member
people can see the frame with putting an eye to the film camera's viewfinder.

I guess Mitch ment "without putting an eye".

I wouldn't call the system a camera, since it has no lens/optics. It's only a pickup device and coder. It actually uses the camera's optics.

I guess Mitch ment "without putting an eye".

I wouldn't call the system a camera, since it has no lens/optics. It's only a pickup device and coder. It actually uses the camera's optics.

Can you still look in the viewfinder for focusing and then frame with the lcd screen or monitor?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

• Premium Member
Can you still look in the viewfinder for focusing and then frame with the lcd screen or monitor?

Alex

www.alexardenti.com

I am not sure what do you mean, but you can still frame and focus from the camera's viewfinder, it doesn't affect this.

And you can also use the video image to frame, if you have the correct marks of the aspect ratio that you are shooting on it.

• Premium Member

Of course you still can look in the VF - if you can - It's just that you don't have to...

What we mean is that when you don't have a video monitor on the set, you might get everybody wanting to have a look : director, script girl, DA, boom operator etc. so that as a cameraman, you can hardly prep the shot before you hear "roll them".

It's often that somebody criticise the frame before the cameraman himself could prep and look at it... Well, it happended to me. They see all this people looking through - that keeping you from doing - so they are sure it's good, so many people look at it, it must be good !

With a video tap, the camera is at last free for his "owner" and all this people will look at it at the video tap (and then criticise it so easily, anyway...) So the best is to have a video tap and let as less possible people look at it... :blink: :D

And tell them that neither the focus nor the light can be judjed by it !