Angenieux 9.5-57mm zoom

Bon Sawyer

Hi all,

I've seen the Angenieux 9.5-57mm zoom recommended as a decent, low-cost zoom for regular 16mm. I have a few questions about it, and am also interested in hearing people's general opinions of it.

(1) How close can it focus?

(2) What mounts is it available in?

(3) How many versions are out there, and what are the differences?

(4) What sort of price range should one pay for it?

Info on any other good low-cost lenses- particularly wide-angle zooms like this one- is also appreciated.

Cheers,

Bon

Info on any other good low-cost lenses

Particularly wide-angle zooms like this one- is also appreciated.

Depends on your defenition of low-cost.

I here the Canon 7-56mm is a pretty decent zoom lens

& it's wider than the Angenieux.

You can find it for around 2.5 grand.

It be great if it were S16 but it'd cost more.

Anyways

Good luck

Guest Robert Skates

Bon,

Look for the 9.5-57 HEC. Angenieux started using a High Efficiency Coating on some of their lenses toward the end of some model runs. The models with the HEC sell for a good bit more and are said to give better results.

Robert Skates

http://www.sk8scamera.com/

Guest Ian Marks
(1) How close can it focus?

(2) What mounts is it available in?

(3) How many versions are out there, and what are the differences?

(4) What sort of price range should one pay for it?

1. Closest focus is two feet.

2. All the "usual suspects:" C-mount, Arri, Eclair, CP-R. The mounts can be changed by a technician ($).

3. The original, most common version, and a few later models with HEC coating.

4. Maybe $500 or less (depending upon condition and mount) for a clean one with regular coating, $750-1,000 for a later model with HEC coating. Lenses from reputable dealers sell for more, private parties less. Ebay is a crap shoot.

Thanks for all the responses!

It sounds like a good option for me all-round.

Rik- cheers for the suggestion. $2.5k is probably more than I will spend, but may not out be of the question. The wider angle would certainly be appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for this model.

Speaking of Canon zooms, I missed out on this bargain due to forgetting to bid on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...ADME:B:AAQ:AU:1

Granted, it's a C-mount (not my preference), and not really wide enough for my liking, so I'm not particularly upset. But I'm curious- is anyone familiar with this model (12.5-75mm)? I couldn't find any info on the web.

Thanks,

Bon

Guest Ian Marks
Speaking of Canon zooms, I missed out on this bargain due to forgetting to bid on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...ADME:B:AAQ:AU:1

Granted, it's a C-mount (not my preference), and not really wide enough for my liking, so I'm not particularly upset. But I'm curious- is anyone familiar with this model (12.5-75mm)? I couldn't find any info on the web.

I believe that particular lens was supplied with the Sony Portapak video camera, circa 1970, one of the first video cameras available to the public. It was black and white only camera with fairly low resolution. Even though I'm a big fan of Canon optics, I don't think you've missed much by passing on this particular lens.

The 9.5-57 Angenieux is quite nice, and 9.5mm is a genuinely useful focal length. In fact, you'll need to find a wide angle lens shade for it (my regular shade cuts into the corners of the frame at 9.5mm). It also has a very odd (65mm) front filter thread, so you'll want to find a Tiffen 65 to Series 9 filter adapter made specifically for this lens - then you're good to go.

I have a 9.5-57 HEC; it's pretty nice in its sweet spot - f4 - f11 ish

5.6 or 8 can rival some good primes...

I think half the shooting I've done with it is at 9.5, so I personally would not consider a 12 - Anything ! as a first zoom lens (I'd love the Canon 8-64 even more....)

-Sam

Speaking about the Ang 9.5-57...

Is there anyway to convert this lens to S16?

If there is...

Would the image quality of the lens be affected?

What would the range be something like 10.5-63?

Would it be too expensive or a waste to convert this lens to S16?

Thanks