Fuji Film stocks

Guy Meachin

Has anyone used the Fuji 250D or 500D film stocks? I'm shooting a daylight interior inside a huge old brick warehouse. Inside the warehouse is very dark, but with a reasonable amount of light leaking through the windows that then fades towards the middle of the building as seen in the picture that has hopefully attached!

post-585-1145372298.jpg

As you can see there is a large amount of contrast in the building. How will the 500D react in these conditions? Is this an appropriate stock? I'm using diffused 2.5HMI/575HMI's for some extra fill where necessery and some 4' Kino's for the closeups where detail in the subject is important. How does this sound?

I'm guessing I'm going to have a fair amount of grain but how can I minimise the grain?

I'm a student who's managed to blag lots of equipment for free and I'm shooting my degree film. I've used 16mm before but nothing this ambitious, so go easy on me! :D

That looks like a great location. Fuji offers a DVD of footage shot with there new line of film stocks. I believe those stocks are on there. Definitely worth looking at, its free, you can order it from fuji and ask your Cinematography dept. head about it.

You could probably make either of those stocks work. You will definitely pick up a lot more shadow detail with the 500D. Based on the location, a little grain in the image will look nice. A good way to judge would be your exposure and film speed of your still image.

I shot my thesis film on Fuji Stock a little over a year ago. I was extremely pleased with the results. I used the F400 stock and bleach bypassed it. The grain was nice and tight and the images where sharp. Great shadow detail with this stock even after bleach bypass. You can see some of it on my demo reel: www.skalaphotography.com/reel.html, the large file takes a while to load. The film I am talking about is with the black teenage girl, and gangsters, and she is with her boyfriend in some scenes. Oh yeah also 16mm.

Good luck on your project!