Who needs a grip?

R T Humes

I've got experience doing PA work...gripped for audio, lighting, and camera for television, and now I'm looking for an independent feature where I can hop on the set and work (hard) as I watch and learn.

If you or someone you know is shooting anything anywhere that needs some grip assistance, please let me know. How long or how far away the shoot is doesn't matter. I'm a college student graduating in May and all I really want to do is help out on a feature project!

Peace,

Taylor

Edited by TaylorFive

• 1 month later...

Some schools seem to give out the wrong definition of grip to its students, as though PAs and grips were the same thing.

Also change your ocupation Taylor to reflect what you do. If you are looking for PA work then you may want to post that as your job title.

Edited by Chris Pritzlaff

Guest Michael Cathcart

LOL. okay that makes a bit more sense now.

Thankfully my school (Montana State University) isn't quite that irresponsible with its teachings.

LOL. okay that makes a bit more sense now.

Thankfully my school (Montana State University) isn't quite that irresponsible with its teachings.

Its important for the schools to teach proper terms to the students. That way they don't go looking for a job with the wrong title.

Seems there are two schools of thought on the meaning of the word "grip".

We have your authentic "grip" who's job is to control shadows or take away light, using flags, diffusion, and who handles the setting up of any number of rigs using c stands, etc.

Then we have the other kind of grip, who does audio, holds the boom, moves lights around, and a hundred other duties, almost like a PA, but not (they don't get lunch, lick the bottom of a trashcan, etc.). I've been this kind of "grip" for a local production company. They insist on calling the position that. I asked them once "aren't I a PA?" And they said "We call it a grip." So there. Right or wrong, it's just like that sometimes.

Edited by Josh Bass