RED - ACTUAL PHOTOS

Joe Taylor

People are saying that they want to see true footage shot with RED. What I would like first is to see an actual photo the camera. I'm not even sure if this really exists.

Go to RED.com. What they are posting are not photos (only their zoom is a true photo) but artist rendentions. As far as I'm concerned, what RED is is still just a concept. Like when you see a concept car at a car show. It looks all flashy but will it work in the real world?

Also, no working professional is going to shoot with a chrome camera for obvious reasons. And what about controls, buttons, even a true view finder? How about attaching a base plate for rods and so forth. I don't even see a way to mount it to a head. This is not the real deal. I like the numbers, but I would like even more to see a true photograph of a fully dressed model.

Yeah, the camera DOES NOT EXIST.... They are hoping it will exist and be shipping at the start of 2007.

They claim a lot of amazing things - but never that the camera exists as anything other than a non-functional prototype.

I think everyone's best plan is to check back in December and see what happened.

Mark Allen

These are photos of the prototype (I mean, of the cage ...):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=470399&postcount=8

Ugly as hell but anyways ... that's not really important.

And that's the man behind the project and their headquarter:

http://www.dvinfo.net/red/reddawn1.php

Kind of funny actually ...

Edited by ropbo

You know, I find the level of cynicism and negativity about the RED project in this whole forum kind of astounding. Yeah, who knows if Jannard is really going to be able to pull this off, but I think it's really presumptious to be so confident he won't. A lot of people may end up regretting that this board has a searchable archive.

• Premium Member
A lot of people may end up regretting that this board has a searchable archive.

I don't see what's the problem with being sceptical is, since at this moment in time Red is not even a real working camera. There have been several other digital cameras that claimed to revolutionize the industry and never lived up to their hype, if they even got delivered that is. I understand that all the amateurs and prosumers will spray their shorts, because they see an affordable 4K camera, but professionals will want to test the camera first to find out about its picture quality and workflow before they jump on the hype bandwagon.

I don't see what's the problem with being sceptical is....

I can see both sides.

On the one hand, if you're a professional in the industry, you have a responsibility to make things happen which requires concrete working tools. If anything gets hyped too much, producers and executives assume it's real and it can make your job even harder when you have to explain why you have to rent the genesis or pay for all that film when "the red will do it all for 17.5k." Totally legitimate.

On the other hand, once a filmmaker loses his ability to hope and dream and fantasize and let himself be swept up into a little bit of awe and imagination... he's lost too much.

So... dream safely. hope cautiously.

The reason I put down my $1,000 for the deposit is because I deal with a lot of executives of studios and mini majors and I want them to know that if the revolution is happening - I'm right with it. It solves the problem for me. "Don't lecture me about the red, I'm the owner of their 89th camera." It also helps to firm up my company's three picture plan for next year - puts us on the line. The camera would be PERFECT for us. We will do it with or without it. Without it? We rent somthing else. With it? What a great bargain for us... and again... we'll be going into production 2 months after they think their cameras will be ready. Makes for some good enthusiasm among the camera-centric executive crowd. They like to dream too.

Mark D. Allen

Red One owner #89 - ;)

you know what all this reminds me of?

something you'd see in an infomercial..

"...products like this normally cost 10 times more in stores, but here you can get them for only $xxxx plus if you call right away you get a free..."

It even looks like that

Snarky dismissals are another.

I think, given that this thing is vaporware at the moment, snarky dismissals are fair. These guys are basically saying they're going to deliver the best digital cinema camera EVER. For $17,500. But they don't have a prototype ready yet.

Without a prototype, I don't see how they can be so confident.

All that being said, I'll happily eat these words if Red pulls it off. Heck, I might even save up and buy one.

You know, I find the level of cynicism and negativity about the RED project in this whole forum kind of astounding. Yeah, who knows if Jannard is really going to be able to pull this off, but I think it's really presumptious to be so confident he won't. A lot of people may end up regretting that this board has a searchable archive.

If some people's panites are still in a wad on the floor over what so-and-so said about RED a year from now, I'll eat my shoe and film it with my new RED. I'll even give you the honor to press the "RECORD" button... but only if the damn thing even has one by then.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Once again, a new wonder-camera, that's going to FINALLY KILL FILM!... available sometime at a later date.

I think the snarky comments are appropriate, because they're the exact mirror opposite of vaporware hype sales propaganda being used by the company about RED.

It sounds to me, like the deposits are all about raising money for more R&D, because they haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I have to be suspicous when someone is hyping to this extent, something that doesn't even exist yet.

What's the point in getting excited about something like this? The same claims were made about consumer DV, for crying out loud...

MP