HD Learning Curve

Marty Hamrick

Just curious here.Those of us who have shot film and SD video.How much of a learning curve is there to getting accustomed to the new equipment,it's strong points,limitations,etc?My transition to video from film was not fun.Of course that was going from being used to color neg vs. tube cameras and 3/4 inch video.Going to HD from a film/Betacam or DVC Pro background easier?

Marty

It will almost feel like somewhere in between. The biggest annoyance with HD is focus, because your viewfinder doesn't have nearly the resolution of the format and a small monitor is not fine-pitched enough to judge off of. A shot might look fine in the viewfinder and on the 9" monitor but be soft trnasferred to 35mm or even on a large 42" plasma screen. Other than that it's essentially a very sharp DIgiBeta or DVCPro video camera.

Other than that it's essentially a very sharp DIgiBeta or DVCPro video camera.

OK,what about downconverting and some of the other things I've heard about?What exactly is that?By your description it sounds like it should be easy enough to one man band like any other video format.I take it most models can be configured or are configured ENG style,which is what I'm accustomed to.Now if you are shooting full crew film style,I understand your 2 nd AC handles tape logging and the downconverting process, 1st AC's job doesn't change.Am I correct?

Marty

Downconversions are something that happens in the tape room back at mission control, not out in the field. The 1st AC deals hands-on with the camera, pulling focus, setting up sticks, monitoring batteries, etc. The 2nd AC keeps the reports, runs the slate, lays marks and assists the first as always. Other than actually loading mags the jobs are essentially the same. When a setup is done and camera moves for next setup, the 1st AC moves camera and the second moves monitor or re-routes the cabling.