HD output on HVR-z1

Vedran Rupich

I don't think this is true. It is comperssing the info in-camera and "throwing away color informaiton, but I do not think that you can record "true" HD to another deck. You may be able to record to an HD deck via the fire wire to composite output but it's just adding zeros in the signal and you are not gaining any color information. HDV is HDV. sorry kid, it is what it is -- but it looks damn nice even at 4_2_0.

I don't think this is true. It is comperssing the info in-camera and "throwing away color informaiton, but I do not think that you can record "true" HD to another deck. You may be able to record to an HD deck via the fire wire to composite output but it's just adding zeros in the signal and you are not gaining any color information. HDV is HDV. sorry kid, it is what it is -- but it looks damn nice even at 4_2_0.

Well the pixel ratio for filming is 1440x1080 = 16:9. ANd as far as color it doens't lose anything in recording onto tape or exporting a recording directly through the fire wire to a computer. As for the HD out put you can do it throught the firewire jack or go through the Composite video, regular video and S video jacks on the camera to the and get true HD.

When you ask if it is a true HD format you are asking a question with many angels. SD is 720x480= 4:3 and is a square. There are several HD formats, 1280x720p=16:9 and 1440x1080i=16:9 and 1920x1080i=cinemascope and there are a bunch of other HD fromats with progressive and interlaced formats. True HD is anything bigger than SD that is in a widescreen format with more colors than were availabe with SD formats. Yes HDV is a true format with great colors that doesn't compromise picture quality in any way shape or form. The reason your saying it not a true HD format from my figuring is because its not the largest one out there, but yet HD formats have yet to be standardized to a fixed ratio yet and are relativley new.

The HVR-Z1U is a great camera and if you ever get the chance to get on and can afford it go for it.

as far as color it doens't lose anything in recording onto tape or exporting a recording directly through the fire wire to a computer.

is that meant as a joke or what? hdv uses a perception based codec, meaning that image data the eye is not as sensitive to is taken out. this gives you an image that *looks* very close to the original but the data *is* taken out, which you will notice all too clearly when you try keying or color correcting. my understanding is that the component output of this camera outputs a signal that hasn't been compressed, which solves the problem.

/matt