Bell and Howell Filmo :convertable to S 16 and reflex?

Marty Hamrick

Just looking at an old Bell and Howell 70 DR.Just glancing on at the gate and sprockets, I don't see that conversion to S 16 would be as hateful on one of these as other cameras, such as an Arri S.I also know that a 35mm Bell and Howell Eyemo can be converted to reflex viewing.Is it safe to assume that the 16mm little brother is convertable to reflex?

I am not sure it is worth your while to work with one of those old cameras. Changing it to super 16 would require filing out the gate which in and of itself is pretty easy to do or get done. The problems begin when you considder that the lenses will no longer be centered, furthermore finding wider angle lenses for the filmo that would cover the entire s16 gate might be tricky. On the otherhand I am not sure it was be possible to convert a filmo to reflex because the range finder system on the filmo is seperate from the main internal workings of the camera. To convert that camera to reflex you would have to create an entire viewfinder system including positioning the ground glass, and then creating opitcal shafts using prisims, and mirrors. You would have to create a focusable eye piece. Now having said all this, I must state I am not an expert on them, I only used them for a year in my first year of film school, I got so frustrated with them, that I just bought myself a k3.

CHeers,

Steve Whitehead

Edited by Stephen Whitehead

• Premium Member
Changing it to super 16 would require filing out the gate which in and of itself is pretty easy to do or get done. The problems begin when you considder that the lenses will no longer be centered, furthermore finding wider angle lenses for the filmo that would cover the entire s16 gate might be tricky. On the otherhand I am not sure it was be possible to convert a filmo to reflex because the range finder system on the filmo is seperate from the main internal workings of the camera. I must state I am not an expert on them, I only used them for a year in my first year of film school, I got so frustrated with them, that I just bought myself a k3.

As A Filmo user, I must defend them as rugged and forgiving, but they are not as easy to use as a Camcorder.

The only practicle way I can see to have a reflex view on a filmo is ot find a dog-leg lens like the TV news folks used ot use. The filmo Finder can be revoved from the Camera cover ot make room, just replece the 4 screews to avoid a monster light leak.

Super 16 would reguire moving the turet toward swhere the finder is. Not an easy job unless you can machine a new turet, Againa dog leg zoom would simplify he project - BUT it would eb a major project.

Keep in mind that the Pull down claw, (shuttle in Bell and Howel speak) is under the turret, so taking the front too far apart would upset the machanism.

As I say I like my Filmo, I would love to experiment with A dog-leg lens. If I get wanting to go Super 16, I would probaly pick anoter camera.

Just looking at an old Bell and Howell 70 DR.Just glancing on at the gate and sprockets, I don't see that conversion to S 16 would be as hateful on one of these as other cameras, such as an Arri S.I also know that a 35mm Bell and Howell Eyemo can be converted to reflex viewing.Is it safe to assume that the 16mm little brother is convertable to reflex?

Convert to S16 - Yes. Reflex - Probably not. As was mentioned before, a lens with a dogleg viewfinder will work, maybe a pan cinor or and old angenieux zoom if you want some type of reflex. I successfully converting a DR to super16 last year, the gate was easy to do, you'll also have to file away alot of the metal in front to right. You'll also need to find some lenses that will cover super-16 and then some, as the lens is not being recentered, to make sure it covers the frame.

I put together a little step by step page on how i did the conversion, not very professional, but it worked:

http://www.derekmarazzo.com/filmo.htm

Here's a link to the old forum discussion regarding the Filmo:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...wtopic=3790&hl=

- Derek

Super 16 would reguire moving the turet toward swhere the finder is. Not an easy job unless you can machine a new turet, Againa dog leg zoom would simplify he project - BUT it would eb a major project.

---I know someone in Korea who had one of the lens mounts recentered for S16.

The machinist drilled out the original C-mount and replaced it with a new C-mount insert.

Still tricky and needs an experienced machinist, but more feasable than making an entire new turret.

---LV

So what were the results of your lens tests?

Did the "dogleg" cover super16mm?

For my test I used a Century 1" lens and a Nikon 50mm Lens with a C-mount adapter, both covered the super-16 frame. I have yet to test any 'dogleg' zooms.

- Derek