Digibeta workflow

iron_tick

I think i posted this in the wrong topic prior to this, I appologize

I have a project that im working on thats being transfered from 35mm in about 30 to 60 days.

From what I think i understand, my copy of adobe Premiere Pro isnt going to be able to do anything with digibeta, so i'm prepared to get a copy of Avid for editing. Im going to be with the digibeta deck for 1 week and ill have an SDI card to connect from my computer to the deck.

The questions; how does editing on digibeta work? with systems like premiere, the files are small enough to fit on the hard drive while you edit, and then 'layed back' to whatever i want it to be on.

When i run avid will it store the uncommpressed video to the computer drive and then layback? This is one of the most improtant questions for me. I am tasked with adding effects in another program and then inserting it into the scene. Will i be able to work with the files without comprssing them below the digibeta quality?

If my computer is to handle these uncompressed files which are probably in the high gig range, what type of system should i build to run avid on?

Sorry about the ignorance, thank you for the replys in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iron

If Dbeta is not the final medium, you could edit on DV, then produce an EDL for the final meduim (film, D2, etc)

If you do need to edit on Dbeta, you will need a raid, with enough bandwidth for the video to not drop frames. The internal drive on you computer won't handle uncompressed.

I'm unfamilliar with how AVID does it now (i switched form AVID to FCP a few years ago) but I'm sure is similar to how I do things on FCP, just more money.

Along with the RAID, you'll need some high bandwidth connection between the RAID and your cpu. Ethernet won't cut it. It's not really designed for video, even gigabit ethernet. It may work a bit, but not worth the hassle it causes. We use Fibrechannel between the G5 and RAID. 2gigabit bandwith.

We have a G5, running FCP, an Apple xRaid with 2TB of storage, and a BlackMagic/Decklink card for input through SDI (video and audio on SDI) You wouldn't need all of that space I don't think, but the setup would work well for you.

Let me know if i didn't answer your question.

Bryan