XL-H1 not the only progressive HD cam using Interlaced CCD's

Mr. Shannon W. Rawls

• Premium Member
I wasn't aware that was big news. There are quite a few cameras (and I thought everyone knew it) that have progressive modes but still capture and store information in interlaced fields.

The Canon is sort of the reverse of that - it captures in interlaced-mode but can store 24F as 24P. The main improvement is that it drops from 60hz to 48hz to do that, so at least you're working from 48 fields instead of 60 to create 24 frames, although it is not doing a simple de-interlace, more of a field-dropping with some processing to restore some resolution lost, partially possible because the green CCD is a half-pixel offset.

However, unlike Shannon, I can't call the camera a true 24P camera since it does not capture 24 times a second in progressive-scan mode, even if it can create it after-the-fact.

Since the begginning of time or so it seems people have been buying these 1080i camcorders with built in smart deinterlacing uprezzing chips or have bought specialized software capable of smart deinterlacing and uprezzing to full 1080p resolutions and have boasted of the superior quality over native 720p capture. And this may be very well and good but what the interlacers fail to realize is that 720p footage can also be uprezzed using software to the ultra high definition 1440p resolution which is the offical WQXGA format. (Wide Quadruple Extended Graphics Array). While uprezzed 1440p footage will not be as good as native 1440p footage it will hold its own against deinterlaced 1080p any day.

• Premium Member
Since the begginning of time or so it seems people have been buying these 1080i camcorders with built in smart deinterlacing uprezzing chips or have bought specialized software capable of smart deinterlacing and uprezzing to full 1080p resolutions and have boasted of the superior quality over native 720p capture. And this may be very well and good but what the interlacers fail to realize is that 720p footage can also be uprezzed using software to the ultra high definition 1440p resolution which is the offical WQXGA format. (Wide Quadruple Extended Graphics Array). While uprezzed 1440p footage will not be as good as native 1440p footage it will hold its own against deinterlaced 1080p any day.

Just wait 'til the 8640p cameras come out, they'll STOMP on those 1440p cameras...