I have 2 Krasnogorsk 3's

Kirk Anderson

So, I recently picked up a second K3 and it ended up being a Bayonet mount. They are both in excellent condition and have all of their acessories. I was thinking of selling one in order to purchase a re-build and super 16 gate on the other. Which one should i keep? The M42 or the bayonet?

I thought the M42 was going to be awesome, but I can't find any lenses that are wide enough. I picked up a 50mm pentacon which is great, but is a telephoto and i can't find a wide angle m42 to save my life, under $200 bucks.

Am I going to have any more luck putting together a grip of lenses with the bayonet?

Second Quesiton:

Is it even worth re-building a K3 with a super 16. I know the techinical difference, but what will the application be? Better looking Footage? Easier to Process? More Prestigous?

or,

will it just be a pain in the ass becuase the lens is off kilter and i can't zoom my ninja movie anymore?

Let me know

kirk

I would keep the m42. The widest lens I have is 28mm in 35mm (Don't know how that translates in 16mm) that does fine most of the time.

I love my k3, but it is what it is. I just don't see the point of fiddling with it. It is sound syncable and it doesn't have a motor. That alone limits what it can do. Remember, this was a "home" movie camera. It wasn't designed for feature work.

I still wouln't convert to super. Doing the film gate is simple enough (for the right hands) but if you don't mod the viewfinder, you will a hard time composing the shot. I fear that converting the viewfinder would cost more than the camera is worth.

And remember, all cameras break. It's only a matter of time. Cameras techs are hard to find and their time is valuable. Repairs are expensive and not everone know what they are doing. K3s are cheap, $200 USD on the internet auctions. If you don't mod it, you don't have to worry about. ANY repair is going to cost more than 200USD. When your K3 dies, buy another.

Use any extra cash for a good lightmeter and film. I think you will be better off. Worry about getting a better camera down the road. Remember, you can always rent.

Best Wishes, Joe

I thought the M42 was going to be awesome, but I can't find any lenses that are wide enough. I picked up a 50mm pentacon which is great, but is a telephoto and i can't find a wide angle m42 to save my life, under $200 bucks.

Considered the Peleng 8mm/3.5 fisheye? They're easily, cheaply available (new) on Ebay with an M42 mount. The quality is not wonderful, and your options for mounting filters are limited, but you do get a much wider angle of view than the K3 zoom. (The "fisheye" effect is also not very pronounced when using it on a 16mm camera.)

Bon

HI

A some technical information about Kransogorsk cameras.

Krasnogorsk-3 camera with M42 screw mount can use original zoom lens Meteor-5 17-69 mm and other lenses with M42 screw mount from 35 mm SLR photo cameras Pentax, Zenit.

But, you will have a some problem find wide angle lenses for 16 mm shooting, because, photo cameras have not many wide angle lenses.

You can use Peleng 8 mm, 16 mm, But, Peleng lenses have big distrotrion.

Krasnogorsk-3 camera with bayonet mount can use original zoom lens Meteor-5 17-69 mm, prime lenses from Kranosgorsk-1 camera 12.5 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm, prime lenses from 16SP camera 10 mm, 15 mm, 25 mm, 50 mm, 75 mm.

The lenses of 16Sp camera have professinal version of optical block.

But, you can use modifed zoom lens of 16 OPF-12-1 10-100 mm and 7.5-75 mm ( 10-100 mm with 0.75 wide adapter ) from professional cine camera Kinor-16 SX-2M.

You can see, if you use Krasnogorsk-3 with zoom lens 7.5-75 mm, you not will need more wide lenses.

The zoom lens 16 OPF-12-1 have rear conversion and neutral density filters.

About modification of 16OPF-12-1 zoom lens you can ask me.

You can see image of Krasnogorsk-1 camera with 16 OPF-12-1 zoom lens with front 0.75 wide adapter 7.5-75 mm

The next modification of Kranosgorsk-3 camera with 10-100 mm zoom lens design and make James Westbrook from UK.

Krasnogorsk have video assistance and compendium and roods.

The images of this cameras available for show.

After this information you can think, what version of Krasnogrosk-3 camera with M42 or bayonet will better for you.

• Premium Member
The whole point of Super 16 is to blow it up to 35, Is that what you want to do? If not stay w/ 16mm.

Actually I've found Super 16 on my K3 to be great for High Def transfers. Even in SD, I've worked out an anamorphic system with my colorist that allows me to bring in the full frame and tell Final Cut Pro that it is anamorphic and it cuts perfectly with my anamorphic DV footage (except of course the change in look, but that works fine for what I do.)

So once I've done an SD edit in the 16:9 ratio, I can have the footage transfered again in HD when I want to be stupid about money. Of course, one hour of HD transfer would buy me 2 K2's new.

I've done transfers to high def from my Kodak K-100 and my Super 16 K3 and there is a difference with all that extra film to work with.

I would keep the m42. The widest lens I have is 28mm in 35mm (Don't know how that translates in 16mm) that does fine most of the time.

---It would be a 28mm.

To paraphrase famous poetess: A 28 is a 28 is a 28.

Though on 16mm it would no longer be a wide angle.

It would be a longish normal.

A 7.5mm would give about the same view in 16mm.

But can you find one faster than f/4 in M-42?

Wouldn't an f/1.8 or f/2 be more practical for interiors?

What about rectilinear perspective?

---LV

Does the bayonette have any advantages over the m42 mount? They are exactly the same except the m42 can use more lenses right?

How did you hook up a moniter to the camera?

I recently was abole to buy a real cheap lens for my M42. A " Pentax Screw RMC Tokina 80-200mm f4 Zoom Lens M42 " on ebay for about $10. When I screw it into the camera, everything seems fine except the zoom doesnt seem as pronounced as the normal lens that comes with the K3. I thought a 80-200 lens would have a greater zoom than a 17-70. Is there something I am missing?

Does the bayonette have any advantages over the m42 mount? They are exactly the same except the m42 can use more lenses right?

I recently was abole to buy a real cheap lens for my M42. A " Pentax Screw RMC Tokina 80-200mm f4 Zoom Lens M42 " on ebay for about $10. When I screw it into the camera, everything seems fine except the zoom doesnt seem as pronounced as the normal lens that comes with the K3. I thought a 80-200 lens would have a greater zoom than a 17-70. Is there something I am missing?

---An 80-200mm zoom has a zoom ratio 2.5:1. 200/80=2.5.

A 17-70mm has a zoom ratio of about 4:1. 70/17.5=2.5.

A 10-100mm zoom has zoom ratio of 10:1. 100/10=10.

The far end of the Tokina is longer than either of the other two, but the difference between the long and short ends isn't as great as on the other two. Dividing the long end by short end gives the range of the zoom. The actual value of the focal length doesn't matter for the zoom ratio.

A Canon 8-64mm lens has a zoom ratio of 8:1, while a Canon 7-63mm lens has a zoom ratio of 9:1.

Explain. Show your work.

M-42 was a mount for 35mm still cameras. So while there are lots of lenses in that mount, for the 16mm format there is a lack of wide angle lenses and the normals are on the slow side. But all sorts of long lenses.

What you want to shoot with your K-3 determines whether this is a good selection. If you want to do scenics and wild life, you're in luck. Interiors and people at a normal distance, frustratingly limited selection of lenses. A 10-100mm zoom would be a good choice for the latter.

---LV