NPR / Aaton motor With Tobin TMC... ???

Thibaut de Chemellier

I've just bought an Aaton motor for my NPR and I'm wondering if anybody succeeded to wire a Tobin Milliframe Controller to the Aaton Alcan motor with it's Hirose 4-pin connector???

Can I plug a on/off remote directly on the Hirose 4-pin or other accessories?

Pin 4 is (+) and pins 1,2and 3 are (-)...?

Is there a fuse in this motor and where is it?

How to swith from 25 to 24fps?

Thanks

I've just bought an Aaton motor for my NPR and I'm wondering if anybody succeeded to wire a Tobin Milliframe Controller to the Aaton Alcan motor with it's Hirose 4-pin connector???

Thanks

I forgot to mention, your Alcan may or may not have a fuse. If it does it is usually a 10A fuse. But some of the earlier models do not have a fuse, but if you open the bottom, this is were the cable routing goes from the side mounted 4 pin power connection. This is where you would solder a fuse.

All motors should have a fuse...this was also a problem with some (or all?) of the ACL motors, no fuse.

Alain

Thanks

Hi Tibo, I would think you could get the specifications of the electronics directly from Aaton (Beauviala should remember !) and take your answer to Tobin. With the details, Clive will be able to tell you if it can be done -- he is a very helpful and nice guy.

Good luck,

B

Hi Tibo, I would think you could get the specifications of the electronics directly from Aaton (Beauviala should remember !) and take your answer to Tobin. With the details, Clive will be able to tell you if it can be done -- he is a very helpful and nice guy.

Good luck,

B

Good suggestions...but let me add to the list the people who will not help you with the Alcan.

JP or anyone at Aaton, Clive Tobin, George Zorzoli at OEH, Man-sung and SMS, Bernie O'Doherty, Visual Products, basically all the folks you think would be able to help you will not.

Andrew at AZ Spectrum, and maybe DuAll if George is still alive, and maybe Pierre at CineAsst.

One of the reason this motor is such a bitch to repair is because the circuit boards inside (unless you have an very early version of the motor) are all potted (covered in paint-like material). You cannot see what the components are in order to fix it on a component level. Then there's the problem of no mechanical parts being available. As much as one might think Aaton would work to support the service of this motor I think you will find they want nothing to do with it and will likely not respond to your queries, not Pierre, not Frank, not JP himself. Which is not surprising, as Aaton is in the process of manufacturing two new cameras in the super 16 and 35 formats and are busy right now.

If you discover any breakthroughs, please report back to this Forum with your discoveries.

Alain

JP or anyone at Aaton, Clive Tobin, George Zorzoli at OEH, Man-sung and SMS, Bernie O'Doherty, Visual Products, basically all the folks you think would be able to help you will not.

I personally have no information on this motor, have never seen a schematic, have never seen an instruction manual, don't recall ever actually having one in here, and have no idea what the pin connections are or even what the part number and brand of the plug are. If it is only a 4 pin plug, this smells like just an accessory power socket and not anything that can be used for speed control. So I can not be of any help at this time. Otherwise I would be glad to expound at great length if on your nickel. :-)

I personally have no information on this motor, have never seen a schematic, have never seen an instruction manual, don't recall ever actually having one in here, and have no idea what the pin connections are or even what the part number and brand of the plug are. If it is only a 4 pin plug, this smells like just an accessory power socket and not anything that can be used for speed control. So I can not be of any help at this time. Otherwise I would be glad to expound at great length if on your nickel. :-)

Thanks for jumping in and posting a reply Clive.

Alain

I've open my motor (AT54 n°603) and it's beautiful !!! there's no paint all over the components and it's really clean. It's a 1979 motor so I guess it's one of the latest version.

There's a "Parvex" motor inside ("Axem" type) and I've checked and it seams that's still available, in France at least.

The motor is 26v 5A and 90W running at 4800t/min (or 80fps)

My questions are: why do we feed this motor with 12V ?

Why does my motor goes only at 32 fps max instead of 48 or 50? or even 80fps, can it really be dangerous for the camera or is it just a matter of image steadiness?

There's 5 wires going to the Hirose 4pins connectors, does it means that it's possible to connect a milliframe controller to it and then go over 32fps ?

Thanks!

Thibaut

post-11889-1148045439.jpg

I've open my motor (AT54 n°603) and it's beautiful !!! there's no paint all over the components and it's really clean. It's a 1979 motor so I guess it's one of the latest version.

There's a "Parvex" motor inside ("Axem" type) and I've checked and it seams that's still available, in France at least.

The motor is 26v 5A and 90W running at 4800t/min (or 80fps)

My questions are: why do we feed this motor with 12V ?

Why does my motor goes only at 32 fps max instead of 48 or 50? or even 80fps, can it really be dangerous for the camera or is it just a matter of image steadiness?

There's 5 wires going to the Hirose 4pins connectors, does it means that it's possible to connect a milliframe controller to it and then go over 32fps ?

Thanks!

Thibaut

I'm afraid I cannot answer you questions about the Alcan, but I'll say you're lucky if the boards are not covered in paint. I have 3x Alcan motors (one of which is variable speed like yours), and none look as clean as the image you've included. Looks like a nice find.

Again, send your questions to Andrew at AZ Spectrum.

Alain