Simple things crew people should know

Elaine drove me to drink! :sobs: I'll never work in this town again!

Actually, in all honesty, it wasn't THAT bad. You just have to be on your toes about batteries, judging from our experience. And opening up the door of the camera in front of the whole crew on the last day of the shoot to find all the film bunched up inside even after having manually inched it a full frame cycle and run it with no problems? Comedy gold. I mean, what else can you do in these situations except just deal with it? I think most sane people would have run screaming from this opportunity. The fact that I was like, "BRING IT ON!" makes me wonder about myself... :unsure:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aw and what really is important:

5. HoDs can not fight with each other in front of the rest of the crew! that just kills anything.

(having survived a shoot where camera director and producer could not stand each other)

sounds like comedy but really wasnt. more like hell on earth.

arrr!! bad flashback!!

i'll never forget that one!

10hours shoot with half of the time lost by arguing between DoP and director!!

how much shots did we end up per night? 7? 8?

also remember when they wanted us to lay down the hundrets of meters of 63A cables 3hours before camera/lightning crew call so that the make up peolple could plug in their pin curler?

brilliant!

missused crew to an abusive extent ... it was the humor that kept us sane for the first 2 days (10 day shoot)

this is not really topic related ...but somehow it is because it perfectly shows what will happen if you violentely miss-use crewmembers.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/3733390...48284a5.jpg?v=0

53 calls to wake the gaffer ... that shows how much motivation there was to work.

the good old times!

missused crew to an abusive extent ... it was the humor that kept us sane for the first 2 days (10 day shoot)

53 calls to wake the gaffer ... that shows how much motivation there was to work.

the good old times!

ouch.

that show made me drink!

i also like this picture here:

1295972136_l.jpg

Yeah Annie, I remember. It was exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned the candy. I still tell horror stories about Camera Dept. rolling in with bags of groceries! Good times.

And as for the Pana Elaine, I knew something was up when I asked you how the job went and you replied a short, simple, "Fine. It went fine."

Bring your own weather whenever you can.

Brilliant.

• 1 year later...

I know Johnny Martin, I've worked on 2 movies with him when I was doing boom operating. He sings phrases of popular songs without melody randomly on set - very weird but funny.

Part of the hard part about working in Louisiana is that it's hard to find good examples to follow when working on set. For instance, I've worked in camera and sound on a bunch of features and the only ones that set me straight were the crews from New York and North Carolina. I have to say that working as a camera assistant for New York people is like AC boot camp.

Anybody know of any features looking for camera PAs in louisiana this summer?