"Schindler's List" Film Stocks, Lenses, etc.

Mike Panczenko

I am wondering what stocks Kaminski used on "Schindler's List". I don't know whether he used Plux X, Tri X, or both. Did he also use some color stock to get the tints on specific characters? What lenses did he use to shoot it, and, also, what filters did he use? Thanks.

• Premium Member

The film is shot on Double X (200 Asa, but rated 100 Asa)

They used Arri Cameras (535 and 535B), as well as a Moviecam for Steadicam. Zeiss Superspeeds and Standard lenses.

The January 1994 AC has an article on the film.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Max, it always seems to be you who knows what filmstock was used! I have been trying to find a website or something where this information is available..any ideas? I have been trying for quite a while now with no real success. Most of my information has come from you on this site! Thanks Paul

• Premium Member

Well it usually is David, but he was away from his 'American Cinematographer' magazines for a while. The 'AC' and the 'ICG' magazines are the principal source of information for filmstocks and lenses.

• Premium Member

If I am using a search engine like "Google", I usually do an advanced search with the title of the movie, the cinematographer's name, and the word "Kodak", or "Fuji", which usually brings up on-line articles that may have discussed the film types.

Of course, I hope "Kodak" yields more good "hits". ;)