Filming in other countries

Guest LondonFilmMan

Guest LondonFilmMan

I am intending to begin the production of a 2-hour feature at the end of 2007, if all goes according to plan, and need to film in about 20 countries. Does anyone have experience in this? Have you shot in other countries? Did you take your cams, stock, actors there? Permits? Embassies? Docs? Institutes, insurance, customs? Finding extras in that country? ...also, where is a good place to get a listing of film org's and institutes?

I am intending to begin the production of a 2-hour feature at the end of 2007, if all goes according to plan, and need to film in about 20 countries. Does anyone have experience in this?

If you will need shoot in Ukraine, I can help.

I'm filmmaker from Ukraine.

I hope, I can help you ( by my friends ) about shooting in Russia too.

You will need idea and money only, all other can be our problem.

We can rent any equipments from video up to Super 16, 35 mm ( Arri 16SR-3, Arri-435, ArriCam Studio )

We can organize all other , law support, technical support, location choose, talent casting , post production and other service.

We have good script writers too.

The all details we can discuss by my e-mail olex@a-teleport.com

Edited by Olex Kalynychenko

I am intending to begin the production of a 2-hour feature at the end of 2007, if all goes according to plan, and need to film in about 20 countries.

I suggest that you give a list of some of the countries where you intend to work. I figure that film industries vary in different countries. If you provide a list you might just be lucky enough to find forum members from your countries of interest, or members who have worked there.

Did you take your cams, stock, actors there? Permits? Embassies? Docs? Institutes, insurance, customs? Finding extras in that country?

All good questions. You have a nightmare in front of you. In some countries you will find a maze of different authorities are involved: permits may be issued by different levels of government (eg State, Federal, City etc) . In some cases Film Commissions are there to support the local industry, in other cases they are there to support visiting filmmakers.

So far as Australia is concerned, the best starting point is Ausfilm (www.ausfilm.com.au). It's driven by the local facilities companies - rental, labs, effects houses; by local cast & crew agents; travel and accomodation facilities; film accountants; and the various state film agencies. Everything you need to know.

Heya.

I'm from Brazil, lived in US, now in Spain and know about shooting in many other places; the best advice would be to have a partner production company (service) in each country you plan to shoot. Of course they will make some money out of you, but the time and money you would spend on permits, locations, extra casting, equipment rental and, mostly, taxes and money managemenrt.... it would be very worthwhile.

Good luck,

Art

Guest LondonFilmMan

hmmm, thanks.....and what about Spain? Do you film out there... I'd also be looking to shoot in SE Spain...

• 2 months later...

You should visit the www.AFCI.org web site.

They appear a friendly and invaluable organisation for projects like the one you are intending to embark upon.

They have an annual directory of commissioners. I met them (and many others) at The Production Show in Earl's Court.

Trading as Mild Frontiers Productions (predominantly Original Soundtrack Compositions and Audio Resources), I am based in Scotland and have made connection with production talent from around the earth with the immediate intention of the development of online collaboration on international projects.

If any of these personnel may be of value to you in this project or any other productions please email staycool12@hotmail.com. ( Talent covers all aspects of presentation to production. )

I am always looking for fresh projects to get involved with. Have you more information on your project at present ?

I can send more information of my background and plans for Mild Frontiers if appropriate.

sounds like an exciting and challenging shoot...Can I come along?...I recently returned from filming a short film in Greece on the island of Tinos in June for about 8 days...it was a learning experience in that we had local crew, albeit a small one, and a couple of us that flew from the states. The talent was local, and we got all our gear from a place in athens, although we did have a monitor shipped in from belgium.

I would definately try and have a local contact in every place that is heavily involved in the planning. That helped us a lot. In most cases we didn't need permits because we were on an island and we appealled to the good will of the people. I'm sure that is probably not true of every place

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Heya.

I'm from Brazil, lived in US, now in Spain and know about shooting in many other places; the best advice would be to have a partner production company (service) in each country you plan to shoot. Of course they will make some money out of you, but the time and money you would spend on permits, locations, extra casting, equipment rental and, mostly, taxes and money managemenrt.... it would be very worthwhile.

Good luck,

Art

Ola, I'm going to Brazil in Novembre, I'm from the Netherlands and just shot my first feature (90min) and another to come this month (40min), I studied at the Filmschool in Amsterdam and have my Bachelor degree.

At the moment I'm looking to do a master in Directing in Brazil, can you suggest me what is the best filmschool in Brazil and if they have any master degrees or do you think I have to take my chances in Mexico or argentina, cause what I know, besides the filmschool in Havana they are the best in South America, allthough I really would like to go to Brazil for personal reasons.

hope to hear from you, regards

Martijn

www.framejunky.com