Apple Final Cut VS Adobe Premiere?

Nooman Naqvi

• Premium Member

Hi,

They're not different enough that it really affects your ability to do good work. To be honest I don't think any edit software is much differentiated from any other these days. Premiere is probably slightly more effects oriented, and plays well with After Effects. Final Cut is possibly easier to integrate into a traditional online/offline cycle. But either will do either task fine - it's a very small degree.

Used to be a bigger deal, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it now.

Phil

Guess what if you use iMovie or a multi-million dollar Hollywood edit system, a cut is a cut. Looks exactly the same on either system.

Funny that.

R,

• Premium Member
Thank you guys.

If you are editing video, I think it is six of one, half dozen of the other.

I have not used Adobe Premiere in years, back before Final Cut came with Cinema Tools. Does Premiere have a system for doing reverse telecine and producing negative cut lists like you can do with FCP/Cinema Tools. That may be an issue if you want to use the software to edit film that has been telecined, and you want to create a negative cut list to finish on film.

-Tim

Adobe premier PRO 2 is pretty alright, specially when you incorporate Boris FX with it, you can really do some nice colouring with it. I am sure that Final Cut HD handles it the same, with the same 3rd party software.

I am not sure about Tims question and weather Adobe Premier can export cuts to be done on neg any other way then logging in properly, following time code and exporting EDL... i just assumed that was the way this process is done? I could be very wrong... do let me know though.

otherwise if you are cutting videos, your HD might be handled better by one then the other. Are you just going to use firewire or got capture cards? And the exporting is important too... i could never really get a good Quick Time export from Premier, and needed that to put reels on the net - if anyone knows how to make a quick time export work in premier effectively, let me know.

the point of the above posts remains, a cut is a cut. It is a matter of picking one that works on your machine and learning to use shortcuts on your keyboard so you move quick and look cool :D

actually whilst at it, get a graphics tablet and roll with that, you'll definitely score some wows

I've never used Final Cut, but I went from Premier to Sony Vegas Video, and I love it.
I haven't comformed neg to a cut list from it though, so can't vouch for the entire workflow, but it's a powerful program, and seems to run faster with less PC horsepower than Premier as well.

MP

Was the original poster asking about Apple software only (Premiere's avaialbe for it, right?), or trying to decide between PC or Apple?

I'll second Vegas if you're searching for PC software. It needs a few tweaks before it's truly "professional" (that is, on par with FCP feature-wise, all the EDLs and stuff), but it's kickass.

Just be prepared to hear this a lot:

"You use what? Never heard of it. Sounds gay though."

Edited by Josh Bass

• Premium Member
I am not sure about Tims question and weather Adobe Premier can export cuts to be done on neg any other way then logging in properly, following time code and exporting EDL... i just assumed that was the way this process is done? I could be very wrong... do let me know though.

Lav,

In a nutshell, with Cinema Tools, you take the flex file from the transfer house and you enter it into the program. Then you transfer all your clips from tape into your machine, and reverse telecine everything. Cinema Tools not only keeps track of the timecode, but also the edgecode and Key code of the film so when you have your final edit, you go back through Cinema Tools and it matches your EDL back up with the edge code and key code from the film and outputs a negative cut list that is frame accurate(if all goes well and you do not screw something up along the way). So it is not an EDL, which keeps track of Time Code, it is a negative cut list that keeps track of which frame of film each cut occurs on.

I was wondering if there is something in Premiere that can do the same thing.

-Tim

Thanks Tim, i understand what you mean now. I might have a bit of a search on that subject myself as i do use premier at times, although my main edit software is Avid, Xpress Pro to be preciese ;

I totaly agree on Avid looking better on your resume then anything else. I have recently commenced teaching a class and the kids are using avids... its better like this, to start them off in the pro environment;

• Premium Member

Hi,

As far as I am aware there is no way to make Premiere aware of keykodes.

That said it's not rocket science to write an application to create keykode lists from flex files and punch-hole-based offline EDLs. If anyone ever feels like sending me a bunch of data I can probably knock something up... it's always been a hobby project I've fancied having a go at.

Phil

New used Adobe, but I'm sure it's a good program.

I use FCP and I am very happy with it. I took a class from a company called "Genius DV", silly name I know, but it was really good. About $1000.

If you are going to work "in the industy" though, I'd lean toward Avid. It's my understanding it is the most common software used.

Best regards

Joe

To any die hard anti-Avid Final Cut Pro fans, you know, the kind who say "you can not make a movie with Avid," the first question I always ask is if they like the show 24. If they are familiar with it -- which is most everyone around my school -- they will give an overwhelming response of how awesome the show is. Well, that's all the defense I need. 24? All cut on Avid, baby.

To any die hard anti-Avid Final Cut Pro fans, you know

I had no idea there were such people....

"you can not make a movie with Avid,"

....nor have I ever heard anyone say this...

which is most everyone around my school

.....which would answer many questions.

It's for Mac only.

I can't speak for Avid or Premiere (although I've heard great things about all of them), but I do have first hand experience with most all of Apple's Pro apps including Final Cut Pro (excluding Shake), and I love FCP. Personally, I'm biased towards Apple's stuff, but it's for a good reason! ;)

I definately think that Final Cut Pro experience will look a lot better on a resume than Premiere experience. I don't know how important that is to you, but I would look at it this way, They are both going to do the job just fine and FCP could lead to a lot better things.

Edited by Matt Frank

If those two programs are your only options, I would say it depends on your machine. If you already own a decent enough Mac, get FCP if you own a decent enough PC then go with Premiere.

If you are going to buy a new computer, then I would reccomend Premiere just because you can then run Premiere, Vegas or Avid if you ever so choose.