HD100 HDV footage editing: HDV or SDI or SD?

Raymond O'Neil

Hi, forgive a potentially stupid question, but I have no idea how to proceed with the footage that I shot on HD100.

I've heard that some people do HD to SDI conversion for NLE editing. What does it mean? Please be as simple as you can.

As far as I know my HD100 records HDV footage not HD. I am planning to edit my footage on a PC in Adobe Premiere Pro.

1. Do I need any kind of conversion?

2. Can I just simply edit HDV footage?

3.Why would I need to convert it to SDI?

4. Is SDI and SD the same thing?

5. Which is the best option for preserving quality???

6. Should I pay attention to special codecs like: MPEG, Quicktime, etc.

Please note that you'd be explaining all this to a reall dummy in editing technology. I beg of you to be as simple as possible in your explanations...

Thank you

P.S. A friend of mine once transfered his HD100 footage to Adobe Premiere Pro using Aspect HD capture plug-in. Does it do anything to the footage? Does it convert to SDI? I know he wanted to preserve 24p setting and that's why he used the Aspect Plug-in.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Can't anyone help me? :(

I don't mean to be impolite, but the questions you've asked are so basic that you really need to do a bit of self education on this subject before asking people to take some of their own time to explain it to you. There are many, many resources available to give you basic answers to the questions you're asking here. Use them. Do some homework before asking others to do it for you.

• Premium Member
I don't mean to be impolite, but the questions you've asked are so basic that you really need to do a bit of self education on this subject

I'm in a somewhat grumpy mood so here it is: Give him some resources to research, teach him a bit, just don't tell him to buzz off. :(

To the original poster: The problem that you may encounter with editing HDV on your system is it may run very, very slow. I'm not knowledgeable about Adobe Premier Pro but look around on Adobe's website for FAQ's and Forum topics concerning HDV. My guess (and this IS a guess) is that unless you've got an awesome PC that was specifically put together for video NLE you'll find that editing in SD, regular old fashioned Standard Definition video runs a lot faster than editing HDV. You have the option in any NLE I know of to come back later and edit the original HDV into final form, you've imported SD into your NLE but your original HDV is still on the tapes. You will need to rent or borrow a second HDV deck at that point to creat the HDV final movie but that's no big deal, you will have already created your movie, you'll just be going through the mechanics of assembling the HDV version by working between two decks.

Practice, Practice, Practice. One of the most creative ways of practicing editing is to take a DVD and create a new trailer that has nothing to do with the original movie - there are very good editors who do that to amuse themselves.

SDI is one of the high speed interfaces used with video systems. What the previous poster was grouching about is that you could have found that out by yourself. For instance: if you type SDI into the search engine window at www.wikepedia.org the VERY first answer listed is a link to SDI "Standard Digital Interface". Use Google, Wikipedia, and Cinematography.com's search engines when you need quick information, with time you'll get very good at knowing exactly how to phrase your enquiries.

I personally use Google's Advanced Search option most of the time but wiki's good and cinematography.com will find words and phrases from the entire Forum archives. With Google AS the top window gives an answer based on all the words entered in any order, and the second window gives an answer based on an exact match for a phrase. You can use a combination of both, an exact phrase in window two and a collection of words in window one.