Marshall vr70phdsdi 7 inch Monitor

monster vs robot

Hi,

I've heard of several people liking this monitor. Anyone use this with an HVX and happy with it?

Any help is appreciated.

pierre

OVERVIEW - Marshall vr70phdsdi 7 inch Wide Screen High Res LCD Monitor with HDSDI Inputs:

The Marshall V-R70P-HDSDI represents leading edge technology in LCD imaging for broadcast and Professional video applications featuring our High Resolution, TFT-Megapixel screen with 1.2 million pixels and completely digital signal processing. All SMPTE/ITU serial digital video standards and frame rates are accepted and displayed on this model.

All video formats are scaled to fit on screen in the highest resolution using a state of the art LSI that incorporates 4 ´ 4 pixel interpolations with precision Gamma correction to produce the best images available. Each screen is calibrated to SMPTE standards for gamma and color temperature).

FEATURES - Marshall VR70PHDSDI 7 inch Wide Screen High Res LCD Monitor:

* Durable metal enclosure

* "V" Mount battery adapter included

* Runs 4 to 6 hours on optional 50WH battery

* High Resolution 7-inch wide screen 800´480 Dots with 1.2 million pixels

* Optical Grade polycarbonate screen cover with Antireflective/Antiglare coating

* 100% digital processing

* Analog signals converted to 10 bit digital

* High resolution scaling of all images

* Wide viewing radius - 130° horizontal and 120° vertical provides superior visibility when the viewer is not directly in front of the screen

* 380 candelas per square meter (cd/m²) luminance produces enhanced image quality in varying light and viewing conditions

* 400:1 ratio of contrast between black and white luminance values with response rates less than 30 ms results in excellent quality for moving images

SPECIFICATIONS - MARSHALL V-R70P-HDSDI LCD MONITOR:

* 4:3 and 16:9 screen aspect ratios

* Automatic NTSC/PAL format detection

* standard inputs: HDSDI/SDI (Smpte-292M/259M) 4 Pin XLR D.C. power jack

* Easy to see three color tally indicators

* Built in Color Bars

* Blue Screen for color adjustment

* Adjustment Settings Memory

* Includes ¼-20 mounting plate that can be attached to any edge of the enclosure (additional mounting plates available)

* Includes universal voltage Class-2 power supply

* Fits into Tektronix WFM7F05/1700F05 rack adapter

* Optional rack mount kit

I have a pair of these monitors. The resolution and color representation is good. The image can be calibrated with the blue gun mode so you have an accurate idea of what you are getting. Matched with a lens hood, they are very useable in a bright exterior. The only drawback that I have with them is that the unit is a bit bulky (thick). Its not as slim as a Transvideo or other pro units out there, but the price is right.

Hi Pierre,

The Marshal monitors seem to be the favorite among many, but unless you need HDSDI output from the camera, the R70P-HDA (same monitor, but HD analog instead of SDI) would save you more money. To use an SDI monitor with the HVX, you need an analog-to-digital converter like the Aja box. The R70P-HDA monitor converts the analog signal to digital before display so you don't necessarily have to spend the extra cash on a converter and SDI monitor.

If money is no object, I'd go for the Aja converter and an Astro monitor w/ built in waveform... but unfortunately money is usually a very large object.

Hi Pierre,

The Marshal monitors seem to be the favorite among many, but unless you need HDSDI output from the camera, the R70P-HDA (same monitor, but HD analog instead of SDI) would save you more money. To use an SDI monitor with the HVX, you need an analog-to-digital converter like the Aja box. The R70P-HDA monitor converts the analog signal to digital before display so you don't necessarily have to spend the extra cash on a converter and SDI monitor.

If money is no object, I'd go for the Aja converter and an Astro monitor w/ built in waveform... but unfortunately money is usually a very large object.

Thanks for the responses. Matt, excuse my ignorance as I'm new to HD, but I currently have the Sony 9L3 field monitor with the optional BKM-120D SDI Input Board. If I add the Aja box for, say 600.00 I'd have a useable, "what you see is what you get" HD field monitor. Would that be correct?

Thanks again,

pierre

Thanks for the responses. Matt, excuse my ignorance as I'm new to HD, but I currently have the Sony 9L3 field monitor with the optional BKM-120D SDI Input Board. If I add the Aja box for, say 600.00 I'd have a useable, "what you see is what you get" HD field monitor. Would that be correct?

Thanks again,

pierre

Not exactly. That monitor is SD so it's safe to say that the SDI board is SD as well. If you added an HD-SDI card, the monitor would be able to recieve an HD signal, but the screen resolution is still only 450 and won't give you a WYSIWYG HD image.

Not exactly. That monitor is SD so it's safe to say that the SDI board is SD as well. If you added an HD-SDI card, the monitor would be able to recieve an HD signal, but the screen resolution is still only 450 and won't give you a WYSIWYG HD image.

Looks like the Marshall is it. Gotta spend money on a Matte box, sticks etc...always something

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What I'd like to know is this:

Since all the Marshall monitors are only 800x480 resolution, then why bother spending the extra money ($850.00) for the HD-SDI version or ($450.00) for the Component RGB version....when in fact you can just get an S-Video version for $900 total.

I mean, why bother with HD input if its going to get busted down to 800x480 anyhow? Just save the $$$ and get an S-Video version and spend that money on something else.

Am I off?

What I'd like to know is this:

Since all the Marshall monitors are only 800x480 resolution, then why bother spending the extra money ($850.00) for the HD-SDI version or ($450.00) for the Component RGB version....when in fact you can just get an S-Video version for $900 total.

I mean, why bother with HD input if its going to get busted down to 800x480 anyhow? Just save the $$$ and get an S-Video version and spend that money on something else.

Am I off?

The Marshall takes an HD analog signal and downsamples/converts it to 480 digital. The resulting image is going to be much sharper and have better color information than the SD S-Video image. You can see a very significant difference on the Marshall when you switch between 480i output and HD output from the HVX.

For those who want to monitor an HD signal but can't afford to spend at least $3-4K + on an Astro or HD CRT, the Marshall is probably the most affordable solution.

You can see a very significant difference on the Marshall when you switch between 480i output and HD output from the HVX.

Hey Matt, how's it goin'?

Matt, have you seen this with your own two eyeballs and can 100% verify this because you've tried it with your Marshall & HVX200? I just wanna make sure before I spend the extra $$$, ya know?

Matt, have you seen this with your own two eyeballs and can 100% verify this because you've tried it with your Marshall & HVX200? I just wanna make sure before I spend the extra $$$, ya know?

I tested this out with my Marshall HDA and a friends s-video model and believe me, there is a noticeable difference.

Hi Shannon,

Yes. I own both the HVX and the Marshall. The HD signals (both 720 & 1080 output) have significantly more color and tonal information than the 480i signal. I've also gotten the same results using an HD CRT w/ YCbCr in.

Resolution aside, YCbCr output will give you a more trustworthy image than S-Video, and is worth the extra money IMHO.

In addition to Matt & Alex, it looks like my question has been answered by a comprehensive report from the master blaster.....STEEV DINKINS! Read it here:

http://web.mac.com/holyzoo1/iWeb/Site/Medi...43E802A339.html

The short answer: The Component inputs are in fact visually better then the S-Video inputs.

About that 800x480 resolution...

Is that the true resolution? LCD manufacturers often neglect to mention that it takes three dots (RGB) to represent a pixel of video, so you usually have to divide the stated resolution by three. The highest true resolution I've seen before in a 7 inch monitor is 240, so Marshall's specs are interesting.

The thing I really want to know is, can you pull focus (in HD) with this thing? It seems too good to be true.

• 3 weeks later...
About that 800x480 resolution...

Is that the true resolution? LCD manufacturers often neglect to mention that it takes three dots (RGB) to represent a pixel of video, so you usually have to divide the stated resolution by three. The highest true resolution I've seen before in a 7 inch monitor is 240, so Marshall's specs are interesting.

The thing I really want to know is, can you pull focus (in HD) with this thing? It seems too good to be true.

I've been trying to get to the bottom of this too.. I've heard mostly great things about the Marshall, but it does seem to good to be true. I just don't understand how you can get good critical focus in HD on a monitor that isn't natively HD? I haven't as of yet heard an explanation that's really answered the question head on. The specs sort of indicate that the Marshall is probably better fit for the DVX-100 or whatever SD DV camera.

But then again I haven't worked with or seen the monitor in person.

What am I missing here? Am I going to have to spend 4K on a good HD LCD monitor? Or drag a big ole CRT to set??

Michael,

I wonder the same thing as you do. I sometimes think it's people who just spent $1300+ bucks on a monitor, brainwash themselves to beleive the monitor is good simply because they just spent $1300 bucks on a so-called HD monitor with only 480 verticle lines of resolution.

I think the truth of the matter is "it's the BEST YOU'RE GONNA GET for under $4000 @ that size", and because of that.....the reports are claiming the monitor is a godsend, when the reality is, it's just "OK" for HD.