100' 16mm 200T

Gareth Munden

Hi my first time with 100' rolls 16mm 200T , I'm using a K3 for a test shoot and wanna use this stock . Ijust got some stock and it says on the box open in darkness . Is this true ? ain't 100' rolls for daylight loading ?

Please help ( sorry if this is a dumb one ) Gareth.

• Premium Member
Hi my first time with 100' rolls 16mm 200T , I'm using a K3 for a test shoot and wanna use this stock . Ijust got some stock and it says on the box open in darkness . Is this true ? ain't 100' rolls for daylight loading ?

Please help ( sorry if this is a dumb one ) Gareth.

Even though they are daylight spools, it is still better to load them in a changing tent or dark room. You can get by with loading them in subdued light, but it is always better to load them in the least amount of light as possible, even though they are "daylight" spools.

-Tim

• Premium Member

My lab guy always laughts about the "daylight spools." He says there's really no such animal, but I think you could get away with loading in shade with Kodachrome maybe.

Since this is the first or one of the first times loading your K3, I'd go to a room without windows (bathroom?) and crack the door until you can just barely see, then load. Once you do it enough you can do it in a bag without seeing anything.

• Premium Member
My lab guy always laughts about the "daylight spools." He says there's really no such animal, but I think you could get away with loading in shade with Kodachrome maybe.

I've loaded 200 and even 500 outdoors (in the shade) and never had a problem. Not that there's ever a guarantee, but the film's black backing and the spool do a decent job of protecting all but the outer couple of winds. Again, no guarantees -- hence "subdued" light.