NFTS interview invitation; what to expect ?

Hi !

I was invited for the cinematography interview at the NFTS. I received the email on thursday last week. As I am not from the UK and applied for the first time, I don't know anything about the interview process.

Can anybody tell me what I should expect ?

Will there be any practical tasks ?

I would be very thankful if anybody could tell me a little bit about the interviews at the NFTS !

Thanks a lot,

soul

Hi,

Just be yourself, relax and enjoy yourself. Just by getting to the interview means that your reel has something that they like. So the interview is only so that they can get to know you as a person, and understand how you see cinematography. All it is, is a few questions and a chat.

Also don't worry if you're not necessarily very technical. It's not about proving how great a DP you are. Some very technically inexperienced, but creatively brilliant people have gotten in on the course. Anything that you lack technically, you can pick up along the way. It's about how you see things whether it be the world or cinematography. Like I say just be yourself, relax and enjoy yourself!

And if you get through, great. If not, it's not the end of the world. There are many roads to becoming a DP. Most of the tutors never went film school but they are doing very well now.

Good luck!!!

Hi !

Thanks a lot for your quick and nice replies ! Sounds like the interview is nothing to be afraid of - actually I am looking forward to it now!

All the best,

soul

Hi mate,

I got an interview at the NFTS too. I can make the interview but if I get through, I'll be shooting a film in Nigeria on the workshop dates. I was wondering if these dates were fixed or if they've been flexible in the past?

Soul: how you gonna run a production company and attend the NFTS? Lol

Peace.

Sam.

Hi,

As far as I know, the dates might change slightly to what has been posted but that is at the school's discretion. If the workshop is meant to be on a certain date and you can't make it then you most likely won't have a chance to get into the school because part of what the workshop is about is seeing how you work in a group, so if the other 11 candidates attend and you don't, then they will probably choose the final six from the candidates who do attend. I can't really talk for the school officially as I am only a student there but I think that you are best discussing this at the interview.

Good luck!

Soul: how you gonna run a production company and attend the NFTS? Lol

Sam: Sorry, I didn't get this. What do you mean ?

Good luck and all the best,

soul

• 2 weeks later...

I had my interview at NFTS this week with Brian T and co. It went well I thought. I was wondering how long it takes until they let you know if you have got a place for the workshop stage?

Soul: sorry mate I thought you were someone else, so that's why you didn't get my prod co joke.

Anyway hope your interview went well. Might see you at the workshop if we both get through.

Best wishes.

Sam

Hi !

I also had my interview last week and it went well ! They told me that they would get at me next week - which is this week! Checking emails has become more exciting than ever :-)

Sam, did you find a solution to your problem of being abroad during the workshop ?

Best wishes,

soul

I got a letter today confirming my place in the workshop this year on 1st, 2nd and 3rd August. And yes, Soul, I have managed to persuade the production I'm working on in July to fly me straight back to London after we finish on 30th July, so I will be able to make it. Good luck

Sam.

Congratulations Sam !!!

I haven't heard from them yet... Did you also get an email that you are invited for the workshop or did they only send you a letter ?

Best wishes,

soul

I was told that an email would be sent out with the results as well as a letter. But so far I have only received the letter. It's just as well that I got the letter so soon because I am flying out to Nigeria tomorrow for a month.

Best wishes.

Sam.

Hi !

I received an invitation to the cinematography workshop this afternoon !

@Sam:

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the workshop. One month in Nigeria sounds exciting. Have fun !

@all:

Of course I want to keep this going on:-) Can you tell me something about the workshops ? What are the tasks ? What are we going to do ?

Thanks a lot !

Best wishes,

Felix

Hi,

I'm afraid that I can't be very specific as it wouldn't be fair on the other applicants who aren't part of this board but don't worry it's quite straightforward. It might change but in the past all you had to do is a simple lighting exercise and a simple directing exercise. Just remember that it is not necessarily about how good or bad your results are. It's also about intention, attitude and teamwork. Again, no need to stress, just be yourself and have fun.

Good luck!

I'm afraid that I can't be very specific as it wouldn't be fair on the other applicants who aren't part of this board ....

You are right! I didn't think of that. Sorry, didn't want to be unfair.

Thanks a lot for your answer though. Sounds like the workshop will be fun !

Best wishes,

Felix

Hi people,

Im into the NFTS workshop in July for 'Documentary Direction'. I also applied for "Fiction Direction' but have had no interview invitation yet.

I'll post how it went and my thoughts on the process on the 22nd.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

I've been invited to the NFTS Producing workshop Mon 31 July - Sat 5 August, so we seem to be on double duty compared with the cinematographers!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all on the 1-3 August. Pls feel free to send me samples of your reels to u2twain@yahoo.co.uk.

So far, the producing exercises are about being able to assess short films, analyze a script and I think we're probably expected to oversee some filming end-to-end (Script, Sound, DoP, directing etc.).

In terms of the application, producing students have to pitch a feature-length book adaptation or an original idea, and show samples of their business skills. Luckily, my background's in banking!

cheers,

Twain

hi Nathan,

I'm Twain and I've been selected for the MA Producing workshop at the NFTS (Mon 31 July - 5 Aug).

Had a look at your work and interested that you did a piece on Savonarola! Like your work.

Hope to see you at the workshop.

I'm contactable on u2twain@yahoo.co.uk if you'd like to swap notes about the workshops beforehand / moral support!

best regards,

Twain.

==========

Hi people,

Im into the NFTS workshop in July for 'Documentary Direction'. I also applied for "Fiction Direction' but have had no interview invitation yet.

I'll post how it went and my thoughts on the process on the 22nd.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Only just discovered this thread. I'm also attending the workshop tomorrow, so thought I'd pip in with a good luck wish to all of you who'll be there too. I'm really looking forward to it, and will value the experience no matter what the outcome is. After the workshop, it's one day off then I'm straight onto the shoot of a film I'm directing a DoP-ing. Always good to keep on one's toes I believe!

Dan

• 3 months later...

Hi guys!

I'm from Argentina, just finished my 1st year at the 3-year course on CINEMATOGRAPHY at the ENERC (National School of Cinematographic Experimentation and Direction, a full member of the CILECT).

I am looking forward to applying at the NFTS' MA on Cinematography on 2009!

I would like to hear how was your entrance workshop... since all posts ended on July! and... what about EU-students? (I hold Italian citizenship...)

Good luck!!!

Luis