Here we go again

Stuart Brereton

Just a warning about an Arri 2c that has appeared on ebay. It's quite a nice outfit, but the description is a bit vague, and some of it is in german, as if it's automatically translated via google. The camera is in Missouri USA, but the seller is in England, and it was listed under fireplace surrounds (!!) Everything this seller has starts at $399 regardless.

I emailed a couple of questions last night. This morning the camera has been removed from sale. Draw your own conclusions.....

I have the sellers' ebay ID, if anyone wants to know it, contact me off-list.

• Premium Member
Just a warning about an Arri 2c that has appeared on ebay. It's quite a nice outfit, but the description is a bit vague, and some of it is in german, as if it's automatically translated via google. The camera is in Missouri USA, but the seller is in England, and it was listed under fireplace surrounds (!!) Everything this seller has starts at $399 regardless.

I emailed a couple of questions last night. This morning the camera has been removed from sale. Draw your own conclusions.....

I have the sellers' ebay ID, if anyone wants to know it, contact me off-list.

This link will take you right to a page with a direct link to a fraudulent listing report form.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_bas...ue=Continue+%3E

You'll need an ebay member account to log on to the page but it's the one place to post a message that'll get a reasonably rapid corrective action from ebay.

• Premium Member

A huge clue that the auction is a scam is when the seller says something like, "The 'Ask Seller a Question' link does not work, so email me here." and then gives an email address.

Buyers need to be very aware on all eBay auctions. Especially with big ticket items like cameras. There are dozens of fake or fraudulent eBay auctions for cameras every week. The scammers make quick money from them and then disappear. And it is easy for scammers to hijack other people's eBay accounts, the eBay security is a joke. So don't just rely on a seller having 100% positive feedback. That means nothing, because the seller listed has nothing to do with the fake auction, his or her account has just been hijacked.

-Tim

My ebay account was hijacked once, and I only found out about it because I started getting these emails asking me about an expensive bicycle that I knew nothing about.

The guy told these people that the buyer flaked, and he was trying to sell the same bike "off ebay" to several people.

I told them all to bail, they were being scammed, then reported it to ebay.

It must be easy to do, because it happens all the time.

Don't communicate with anyone except by the normal "contact seller/buyer" function on ebay.

MP

I almost fell for one of those camera packages, but luckily he knew nothing about cameras and insisted on using a phony escrow site (euroagree.com), there are quite a few of these scam auctions up right now, they all have a fake "buy it now" option available only through e-mail (salelots@msn.com same e-mail for several different accounts with same exact auctions) and requires western union which is pretty much unrecoverable