Choosing a camera

Daniel Nemchek

I am doing a 16mm film with a running time of about an hour, and I'm looking for an extra camera so that my k-3 can just be a b-camera instead of the main focus. I would prefer plain old 16mm (dont think i've ever seen actual s16 footage) since my k-3 isn't, but if I could get a reliable s16mm for not so much more I would. Right now the best cameras I can find are the Eclair NPR (pretty much perfect budget wise) and Aaton LTR (stretching my budget a little far for something I can't find any samples of). Any input would be very much appreciated

I'm looking for an extra camera so that my k-3 can just be a b-camera instead of the main focus.

I recommend check a 16 mm russian professional cine camera Kinor-16 SX-2M,

This is reflex camera with electrical motor, 100 ft, 400 ft quick set film magazines, wide set of prime lenses from 6 mm up to 300 mm, zoom lenses 7.5-75 mm, 10-100mm, 12-120 mm.

The electrical motor have one speed 25 fps with stabilization and can be modify on multi speed, crystal sync motor.

You can check russian Krasnogorsk-1, this is camera like K-3, but, with metal film cartridge and bayonet lens mount. Can use 10 mm, 12,5 mm, 15mm, 20 mm, 25 mm, 50 mm, 75 mm prime lenses, or zoom lenses 17-69 mm or modified professional 16 OPF-12 7.5-75 mm, 10-100 mm.

Kiev-16 UE camera, reflex, 100 ft daylight spools, electrical motor witha few speed ( electro-mechanical system of speed stabilization ) have frame and length film counter, forward and reversal film run, turret for 3 lenses 12.5 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm.

Alpha-16, with semi-transparent mirror, C-mount, 100 ft daylight spools, mechanical motor, a few speeds, small size and weight.

The images and technical information about this camera, you can see on my sites.

Hi,

In case you are interested, I have 2 Aaton cameras (My own) for sale as packages and a Zeiss 9.5 HS lens:

Package # 1 Aaton LTR54. I boaught it from a scientific institution becaus I couldn't resist it's unbelievable condition - It's in like a new camera! They had it on the shelf and almost never used it! Includes:

3 Magazines, 5 batteries, S16 Ground Glass. TTL Light Meter, Phase Shifter. Arri electric zoom control with grip. Long &Short rods. Wooden Grip. Black Barney.

2 zoom lenses: Angenieux 10-150 zoom lens with arri-Aaton mount in original box. Angenieux 9,5-57 with Fluid Control (Arri-Aaton mount). Nikon-Aaton Adaptor. Fast Charger.Original literature and manuals.Samuelson flight case. THe price for Package # 2 is $8000.00

Package #2 Aaton LTR7: My loyal camera. Well Maintained. Aaton France Overhauled.

Includes: 3 mags, S16 Ground Glass. TTL Light Meter, 3 batteries, Fast charger.

Wooden Grip. Angenieux 10-150 zoom lens with Fluid Control. Flight case. Spare Motor (24 /25)

The price for Package # 2 is $3500.00

Item # 3 Zeiss High Speed 9,5mm As New! with Arri ? Aaton Adapter in Original box. I sell it for $2000

I will be happy to send you pictures and more details of the gear.

Eytan Harris

Package # 1 Aaton LTR54. I boaught it from a scientific institution becaus I couldn't resist it's unbelievable condition - It's in like a new camera! They had it on the shelf and almost never used it! Includes:

3 Magazines, 5 batteries, S16 Ground Glass. TTL Light Meter, Phase Shifter. Arri electric zoom control with grip. Long &Short rods. Wooden Grip. Black Barney.

2 zoom lenses: Angenieux 10-150 zoom lens with arri-Aaton mount in original box. Angenieux 9,5-57 with Fluid Control (Arri-Aaton mount). Nikon-Aaton Adaptor. Fast Charger.Original literature and manuals.Samuelson flight case. THe price for Package # 2 is $8000.00

Eytan Harris

If the cameras is in the condition you speak of...

It's a pretty damn good deal...

I bought an LTR54 for more than that and it didn't include a lens

& all the extra stuff you had...and wasn't in mint condition either.

Anyways Daniel if you're only shooting one project

Why not rent a camera you can get a good weekly deal at many places

Like Birns & Sawyer or AbelCine Tech.

Renting is always easier than buying less worries.

Good Luck

Guest Ole Dost
If the cameras is in the condition you speak of...

It's a pretty damn good deal...

I bought an LTR54 for more than that and it didn't include a lens

& all the extra stuff you had...and wasn't in mint condition either.

Anyways Daniel if you're only shooting one project

Why not rent a camera you can get a good weekly deal at many places

Like Birns & Sawyer or AbelCine Tech.

Renting is always easier than buying less worries.

Good Luck

I agree with Olexandr Kalynychenko;

Try to get the Kinor 16! It´s a great pin-registered camera that offers real ARRI SR-quality -for less than 1000 $! If you get one with the 10-100mm zoom lens -that´s a rebuild Zeiss lens that offers exactly the same quality!

Ole