Bartech Remote and M-One motor ???

Has anyone tried the Bartech Focus Remote with M-One motor ???

Most AC prefer Preston, Scorpio or the AMAZING C-motion unit....but for a 4000$ budget what do you got???

What's your opinion about the Bartech unit...the only problem I see is that we must add a receiver for Iris and a third receiver for the zoom...but I heard it's really fast and easy to work with...

For the money this is probably the best option, the motor is very strong and fast, many times you don't need the other channels and the service of Bartech is very good.

You can also check the archives on the Steadicam forum, please don't ask there but search as this has been discussed many times already.

Guest Stephen Murphy
For the money this is probably the best option, the motor is very strong and fast, many times you don't need the other channels and the service of Bartech is very good.

You can also check the archives on the Steadicam forum, please don't ask there but search as this has been discussed many times already.

Its superb.

Ive used it constantly for the last 4 or 5 years and it has never failed. Customer service from Jim Bartell is second to none.

• Premium Member

I've owned two Bartech's for five or six years and they're great. For the money they are by far the best. Adding a second receiver for iris/zoom isn't a big deal, although adding a third would certainly be a bit cumbersome. If you're in a situation where you constantly need to have three motors then the Preston or Scorpio is probably a better bet.

Hey Guys

I am a Focus Puller and Loader from Melbourne Australia and I have 3 BFD's, with M1 and Heden motors.

I have taken these on many shoots all over Australia, and never had any negative feedback about the system. DOP's love it because I just hand over the Iris unit and they can happily pull iris, while i am still pulling focus. (This option is avaiblable with the Preston but costs $6000 ish, which is similar to a BFD kit). Other Focus Pullers love its simplicity. Producers love the cost.

These are ticks in all the right boxes in my opinion.

JP

Melbourne Australia

I have worked with the Bartech only once. When i remember it correctly it was in combination with Heden motors. I didn't like the shape of the housing and the whole unit felt a bit flimsy. It did the job, it just didn't feel right.

A horror combination for me is the Preston with Heden motors. Heavy, big, uncomfortable to hold, big receiver/motor controller, slow. My current favorites are the C-Motion and the new Chrosziel Aladin with digital Scorpio motors.

• Premium Member

Flimsy? Really? I think the Bartech is anything but flimsy. Besides small things like antenna damage and software upgrades I've never heard of anyone breaking their Bartech. They're pretty damn tough. Mine have been banged around and even dropped, and I've never had any problems.

Does the Preston work with Heden motors? I believe it only works with digital motors, which Preston makes.

I've never used the Aladdin myself, but I've heard horror stories about it from a few people. A steadicam operator I know went through eight of them in one season of a TV show 3 or 4 years ago and said it never worked properly. He really hated it. But again, I haven't used it myself.

Flimsy? Really? I think the Bartech is anything but flimsy. Besides small things like antenna damage and software upgrades I've never heard of anyone breaking their Bartech. They're pretty damn tough. Mine have been banged around and even dropped, and I've never had any problems.

Does the Preston work with Heden motors? I believe it only works with digital motors, which Preston makes.

I've never used the Aladdin myself, but I've heard horror stories about it from a few people. A steadicam operator I know went through eight of them in one season of a TV show 3 or 4 years ago and said it never worked properly. He really hated it. But again, I haven't used it myself.

You're right Brad, the Preston doesn't work with Hedens. Sorry, i was a little tired when i wrote my post.

The Bartech did the job, there weren't any problems. I just didn't like the feel, which besides reliability and precision is an important factor for me concerning remote focus units.

Are you sure the operator you're mentioning was talking about the Aladin? I think it was introduced in spring 2003 and shipping started much later. Could it be they had some kind of beta version to test? This could be a reason for going through eight units. After two units giving up i surely would get another system.

• Premium Member
Are you sure the operator you're mentioning was talking about the Aladin? I think it was introduced in spring 2003 and shipping started much later. Could it be they had some kind of beta version to test? This could be a reason for going through eight units. After two units giving up i surely would get another system.

It could have been more recent. I don't know exact dates.

I agree about getting something else after 2 or 3 different units continually have problems. There may have been some other reason they kept getting them that I don't know about. All I know is based on what he told me, so I don't have many details.