compression in hvx

Ratheesh Ravindran

hi,

hvx is new to me.i want to know one thing.how does the image looks like when it is shot on 720/24p.is this ideal for film transfer and will the images shot on hvx remain as HD signals till the end.please throw some light on this.

thanking you,

expecting a reply soon,

ratheesh ravindran.

• Premium Member

I've heard that 720P is the best shooting mode for this camera. It is the same DVCPRO-HD codec as is used by the Panasonic Varicam. As for how it looks transferred to 35mm, that's something you'd have to test. The overall quality should be a little lower than the Varicam since this is a 1/3" CCD prosumer camera, not a 2/3" CCD professional camera, with fewer pixels on the chip; certainly the lens on the HVX200 will not match a $30,000 HD zoom.

As to whether the 720P signal you record remains 720P through the post chain to the film recorder, that's sort of up to you and how you post it. You could, for example, downrez it to standard def and thus not be in HD anymore.

thanx a lot david..

I've heard that 720P is the best shooting mode for this camera. It is the same DVCPRO-HD codec as is used by the Panasonic Varicam. As for how it looks transferred to 35mm, that's something you'd have to test. The overall quality should be a little lower than the Varicam since this is a 1/3" CCD prosumer camera, not a 2/3" CCD professional camera, with fewer pixels on the chip; certainly the lens on the HVX200 will not match a $30,000 HD zoom.

As to whether the 720P signal you record remains 720P through the post chain to the film recorder, that's sort of up to you and how you post it. You could, for example, downrez it to standard def and thus not be in HD anymore.

I'm shooting a short right now with the HVX that has a considerable amount of night exteriors. We tested 1080/24 and 720/24n shooting modes and found that the 720 has noticeably less noise in the camera's "problem area" (between 5 and 20 IRE, roughly). We're shooting 720/24n, and overall I've been very happy with the footage, night shots included.