Sony VX2000

Alberto Larios-Saavedra

I have a Sony VX2000 that I occassionally use and never had any problems with it; however, I just shot something this morning and all the wide shots came out very soft. The closeups were all fine. It seems to me that it's a back focus problem, but I'm not sure this camera has that function. Does anybody here know what the problem might be? Is there a setting or a button that I might have changed by mistake and is causing the images to be out of focus? I read the manual, but I couldn't find any reference to back focus.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a Sony VX2000 that I occassionally use and never had any problems with it; however, I just shot something this morning and all the wide shots came out very soft. The closeups were all fine. It seems to me that it's a back focus problem, but I'm not sure this camera has that function. Does anybody here know what the problem might be? Is there a setting or a button that I might have changed by mistake and is causing the images to be out of focus? I read the manual, but I couldn't find any reference to back focus.

Thanks.

Anyone???

Whatever the problem is, is sure isn't backfocus. This is because the VX2000 (and all Sony prosumer cams) have fixed lenses, meaning that unless there's some MAJOR internal problem, the lens is focusing on the CCD (and if it wasn't, every shot would be soft). Backfocus really only comes into play on high-end Hi-Def cams and lenses (there are some articles regarding backfocus on this site, so look them up to fully learn what its all about).

Without a hands-on check its hard to diagnose this problem, but it could be something as simple as the auto focus locking onto something close, like a foreground object or dirt on the lens, or a common problem I have with LCD viewfinders: what appears sharp in the LCD is way out when viewed on a better monitor (the LCD's are notoriously low-res). Try focusing with the viewfinder instead, or even better with a connected montor.

If neither of my suggestions apply, and you're intent on hanging onto this camera, then bring it to Sony for repairs. They're probably the only source for an in depth reason as to why this problem is occuring.

The lenses in these cameras are software controlled varifocal length lenses. Does your camera give sharp pictures when you focus at the wide end of the zoom, rather than zooming to the subject set focus?

There's not much you can do other than sending it for repair, these lenses aren't like the normal mechanical zooms with a back focus adjustment built into the lens.

• 6 years later...

Beto, I'm having the same problem with the same camera, I wonder what solution did you find, I have been looking for a whole week and nothing yet and I have to use it this saturday, I hope you can give me a clue or guide me

Thanks a lot !! email: ricardoplugins@gmail.com

Thanks.