BOLEX......is this worth US$400

Guest LondonFilmMan

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bolex-H16-reflex-mov...bayphotohosting

I'd love to know......I need to know quick as the auction is coming to and end. Hey! No bidding against me! :)

I'd say it's worth $400, esp if its in as great mechanical condition as it is cosmetic. I'd recommend getting a set of primes though. I've found that lens to be cumbersome to use with the Bolex, esp. doing handheld work. It's also got a limited range in that it isn't very wide. The standard wide angle for those cameras was 16mm, however I use my 10mm a lot. I don't use my zoom any longer since I got a set of Schnieder primes that were made specifically for the Bolex RX cameras. I use a 10, 16, 25, & 75. I've shot 7285, 7277 (320T), & 7277 (400BW). The lenses are amazingly sharp and fast. 3 of them have Tstops as well as Fstops.

If you wanted a zoom, I'd recommend the compact zooms, either the Kern Switar or the Som Berthiot. You'll find the Switar to be more expensive as these lenses are more sought after. I'm sure the Som Berthiot will perform just beautifully.

Hope that helps.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bolex-H16-reflex-mov...bayphotohosting

I'd love to know......I need to know quick as the auction is coming to and end. Hey! No bidding against me! :)

well, it depends on what you are going to use it for ... The price at 23 hours (now) is bordering on $400 so I doubt that it is going to stay there considering the amount of accessories the camera comes with...

Although the functionality of each can leaved a little to be desired both the grip, rexofader, lil rewind crank and cable release gear will add $$$ to this auction as collectors may buy the lot with a mind to pass on what they dont need in further auctions, they do look like shiny examples huh B) . That being said the auction is UK based, the cost of postage of this heavy and bulky item may prohibit more higher bids than it would if it were on offer in the biggest market (the states) - I often specifically search for gear from outside of the US as they dont get as many views...

As for the RX4.. I own one myself - they are great cams as the user interface is so open-plan and ready to have all sorts of automation gear appended to them for time-lapse, xtal sync and whatever you can dream up... they are also home super16-erable ... This model does come with a 10x viewfinder tho, :ph34r: some RX4's you will find with 13x finders turn up on eBay every now and again, it is a real plus to have that extra space - the RX4 is also defined as not having the 400' mag saddle on top... Altho I find the electric bolexes only really benefit from this addition...

It really depends on what the price is in the last 1 min - if you are patient you could find a deal such as the one I got a few months back: a mint SBM with 13x finder with POE zoom, it needed cleaning and a lube but now it is as nice looking as the one in the auction you link to - its mechanics are great, nice unused pressure plate, no graphite leak, a nice whir sound as opposed to sewing machine gun ... the POE lens was not so comparably good mechanical condition so I pulled for parts for my PTL lens and distributed the rest to other POE owners via the bolex tech here in NZ - both item came for the princely sum of ~$200US - I'm sure if I moaned about the lube and clean I could extract more money from the sellers but it was such a deal I let them be...

talkin about myself again :rolleyes: - good luck to ya !

ps. a quick hint - when the pressure plate cannot be inspected a quick look at the inside of the film door to check the amount of scratches on the flat black surface can giver a fair estimation of the care taken and /amount of footage taken with the camera - this one looks pretty clean... also confirm with the seller that the lower turret locking plug for the zoom is included, as if it is its obscured in the pictures, the answer you will get will determine if the seller knows the camera at all - as the user has zero feedback even ask them what color the ring on the plug is, you should get orange/red for an answer

Guest LondonFilmMan

Thanks for your fantastic advices gentlemen! I blame myself for not asking you sooner; I didn't want to bid without advice first...ye know...glad I didn't now. Camera looked very nice and shiny but I wasn't sure about that lens either...:)

Thanks for your fantastic advices gentlemen! I blame myself for not asking you sooner; I didn't want to bid without advice first...ye know...glad I didn't now. Camera looked very nice and shiny but I wasn't sure about that lens either...:)

The question being, would you really pay that much for an item from a user with 0 feedback?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest markb
I'd say it's worth $400, esp if its in as great mechanical condition as it is cosmetic. I'd recommend getting a set of primes though. I've found that lens to be cumbersome to use with the Bolex, esp. doing handheld work. It's also got a limited range in that it isn't very wide. The standard wide angle for those cameras was 16mm, however I use my 10mm a lot. I don't use my zoom any longer since I got a set of Schnieder primes that were made specifically for the Bolex RX cameras. I use a 10, 16, 25, & 75. I've shot 7285, 7277 (320T), & 7277 (400BW). The lenses are amazingly sharp and fast. 3 of them have Tstops as well as Fstops.

If you wanted a zoom, I'd recommend the compact zooms, either the Kern Switar or the Som Berthiot. You'll find the Switar to be more expensive as these lenses are more sought after. I'm sure the Som Berthiot will perform just beautifully.

Hope that helps.

I have also have a set of Schneider primes marked for Bolex RX and was wondering if you could tell me if the T-stops are set to compensate for the light lossed through the reflex prism or do i still need to increase exposure?

Thanks

I have also have a set of Schneider primes marked for Bolex RX and was wondering if you could tell me if the T-stops are set to compensate for the light lossed through the reflex prism or do i still need to increase exposure?Thanks

No lenses are marked to compensate for the Bolex prism loss, that I know of. Bolex makes it clear in their literature that the Bolex brand light meter has "adapted" shutter speeds, not the lens calibrations. Another lens manufacturer would be foolish to deviate from this norm, in my opinion. It is well known that you need to set your meter to 1/80 and not the physical 1/60 to compensate for the prism loss.