Lens mounts

Guest Allyn Laing

Guest Allyn Laing

Hi there

Is there any super 8 camera out there with interchangeable lenses? I am thinking about adapting one to fit super 16 lenses, I am aware that the focal length will be out - but i feel the picture quality will improve significantly. Is there anybody out there that has done this or heard about it?

warm regards,

Allyn Laing

Edited by Allyn Laing

Hi there

Is there any super 8 camera out there with interchangeable lenses? I am thinking about adapting one to fit super 16 lenses, I am aware that the focal length will be out - but i feel the picture quality will improve significantly. Is there anybody out there that has done this or heard about it?

warm regards,

Allyn Laing

Beaulieu's use a C-mount lens. I believe that you can get a C-mount to PL adapter. Please write back as to how this all works out. I have thought about doing this for some time. Imagine using a Cooke S4 for Super 8. I would love to see that.

chris

I actually have 2 Beaulieu 4008 ZM2's and wanted to use them professionally for shooting sports. I bought a Arri PL Mount to C Mount adapter from Les Bosher in the UK (google it) for them so that I could get good 16mm glass from the rental house. This cost around 250 and I rented a fast Zeiss zoom for a football game.($95) To my surprise, the lens did not yield significantly better images than the Schneider zoom that is stock. It is a very good lens.

I also have a Bolex RX5 and have put many Switar primes on the ZM2 and they are very fast and sharp, as well as reasonable in cost. I'm sure there is higher end glass I could have used, but the expense would buy a Switar for the day rate. Don't forget the cost of the insurance policy for the rental as well!

Forget about it, unless you're an obsessed tinkerer with infatiguable sources of cash.

That would be like re-engineering the camera. Lots of machining work, with the likelyhood of ruining the camera.

Plus, that lens on the R-10 is killer. I seriously doubt you'd find a better lens for that camera.

Just use a good wide angle adapter for it.

MP

Forget about it, unless you're an obsessed tinkerer with infatiguable sources of cash.

That would be like re-engineering the camera. Lots of machining work, with the likelyhood of ruining the camera.

Plus, that lens on the R-10 is killer. I seriously doubt you'd find a better lens for that camera.

Just use a good wide angle adapter for it.

MP

Yeah, wide angle adapter- that's kinda what I meant, i wasn't clear.

• Premium Member

You will see little if any improvement in the sharpness of Super8 regardless of the optics you use because the camera has no pressure plate. Someone makes an add on pressure plate that you insert into the cartridge which improves performance.

You will see little if any improvement in the sharpness of Super8 regardless of the optics you use because the camera has no pressure plate. Someone makes an add on pressure plate that you insert into the cartridge which improves performance.

Hi;

Well I sure see a difference between the cinegon on my Leicina and the zoom on my Nizo....

Olly

Guest santo
Hi;

Well I sure see a difference between the cinegon on my Leicina and the zoom on my Nizo....

Olly

As does anybody who has visited their optometrist in the past ten years. Prime lenses of the '70's are at least 100% sharper by defiintion in terms of lp/mm measures than the zooms of the era in any test from the time period photography magazines make -- completely without question or conjecture.

The Leicina Special, as anybody who has a grip on reality recognizes, has a "built in" pressure plate with its teflon coated "narrow gate" which pushes the film closer and flatter than was ever approved of or specified by Kodak in their super 8 specs when they designed the system. This was demonstrated in a legendary posting series with myself and Leicina advocate/mechanic Sparky on the now defunct and useless filmshooting board.

Hi, so you managed to track a 10mm cinegon down then Olly, imo, the cinegon fitted to the special gives the best super 8 images, no other lens yeilds sharper, 3d like images compared to the cinegon. As i read somewhere before, it was/is the most corrected lens ever made for the super 8 format, whether thats true or not, the lens delivers superb images.

This was demonstrated in a legendary posting series with myself and Leicina advocate/mechanic Sparky on the now defunct and useless filmshooting board.

Hoyle poop! That was you!? Man, I remember that series of posts... HUGELY formative in my early years. Ledgendary doesn't begin to describe it, my friends and I still replay the exchange between you and Sparky! We were actually going to do a documentary on it but then we realized that our cheapo Super8 cameras were shitty and wouldn't put out professional results, so we bagged the idea...

Guest santo
lol.

The above humour was intended for those with a sense of humour. Like Alex. I'd estimate that applies to at least 95% of everything I've always posted on super 8 boards.

But, to be serious, the Special was engineered to be better than any other super 8 camera, like Leica's other camera products in other formats, and had a ridiculous price to go with it. Like the McLaren or a Ferrari Enzo of the super 8 world. Ridiculous considering the format? At the time, absolutely -- like driving a McLaren or Enzo on a modern crowded highway. Better than anything else? Yes, like it or not. At the time, considering what you could do with super 8, silly-good and way over the top. Today, with a wildly different format application, and the prices involved for the camera, an incredible deal and everything you could hope. The latest, best lenses in the world just click right on, any modern film stock easily set for internal metering, the camera opened up with three screws for a quick oil/grease job ... it just goes on and on and on...

Hi, so you managed to track a 10mm cinegon down then Olly, imo, the cinegon fitted to the special gives the best super 8 images, no other lens yeilds sharper, 3d like images compared to the cinegon. As i read somewhere before, it was/is the most corrected lens ever made for the super 8 format, whether thats true or not, the lens delivers superb images.

Hi;

I sure did, it was a tad pricey but I must say it's amazing, I'm more excited about what I can do with super 8 than any other format right now and I shoot a fair bit of S16. S8 shot with the Leicina and Cinegon has such a solid sharp look but still has the character and personal touch of classic S8. I have also been very impressed by the 6-66 Optivaron zoom, also a great lens it seems.

Olly

This was demonstrated in a legendary posting series with myself and Leicina advocate/mechanic Sparky on the now defunct and useless filmshooting board.

He's right, Filmshooting is defunct! I thought he was just talking sour grapes, but he's not kidding! I tried to sign on a minute ago and got a message, "Down because the forum was hacked. Back Soon! Andreas"

I only hope he didn't get a virus from my work computer... :(

Edited by Robert Hughes

He's right, Filmshooting is defunct! I thought he was just talking sour grapes, but he's not kidding! I tried to sign on a minute ago and got a message, "Down because the forum was hacked. Back Soon! Andreas"

I only hope he didn't get a virus from my work computer... :(

Hi, Robert!

No, it's an exploitable bug in PhpBB that caused it. Awand did not bother to upgrade to the latest version of PhpBB so the filmshooting/nazibaiting/dutchpolitics/pervasiveparanoia/mexican-soap-opera/slotcars.com forum got hacked by a defacer worm. It searches for PhpBBs online and defaces them when it is a version lower than the current. I'm not sure why he didn't just get it right back up, all he needed was to get the latest upgrade and install. The forum was not really affected at the db level, just that index.php. It's still down...which is why I made this account here.

Yep, those viruses & worms are all around nowadays. I got one of my PC's clobbered a few weeks back when I let my wife check webmail on it without a virus checker installed - wiped out my boot sector. And when I attempted to restore, I inadvertently reformatted the drive! Did I feel like a POS.

So the Zapruder/slotcar/filmshooting forum was hit by a robot worm scanning the Web or did it get specifically targeted for destruction? It would be a shame if somebody bore enough ill will toward Andreas and the forum that they'd intentionally wreck it. Like it or not, it appears to be one of the most active film related boards on the Web. Not as good or as wide-ranging as Cinematography.com, of course :) but it serves its purpose.

So the Zapruder/slotcar/filmshooting forum was hit by a robot worm scanning the Web or did it get specifically targeted for destruction? It would be a shame if somebody bore enough ill will toward Andreas and the forum that they'd intentionally wreck it. Like it or not, it appears to be one of the most active film related boards on the Web. Not as good or as wide-ranging as Cinematography.com, of course :) but it serves its purpose.

I actually love the filmshooting/ebay/my-girlfriend-squeezed-out-another-monster/k40isdead/dwaynes-sucks-for-e64t/slotcars forum. I read this forum but I never post. I post often on the now defunct filmshooting/whowillmakeanewsuper8camera/singlelineNigelpost/Yalecensorship/slotcars forum. And again, I think Andreas has gone way too far, he just needed to upgrade the forum files, not shut it down completely.

To answer your question, yes it was a bot/worm that defaced the forum. If you do a search for phpbb defacer you'll find quite a few such worms were created.