Speed Rail

Matt Workman

I'm working in some small INT locations and I would like to make some sort of wall spreader.

Matthews 2x4 Wall Spreader

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/mse2x4wasp4.html

Matthews Speed Rail Wall Spreaders

http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/msesprawasp4.html

I'm leaning towards the speed rail spreader because it will be re-useable and I would trust steel over wood, which may have inperfections.

Where is a good place to get speed rail? What size does the MSE rail wall spreader take?

With speed rail do you have different sized sections and use connectors?

I would love to see some setup pictures. I saw a speed rail crane on the internet somewhere, hah.

http://www.freyerlighting.com/WebSitePages...erSpeedJib.html

Matt,

The manufacturer of Speed-Rail® is a company called Hollaender Manufacturing, and they are based out of Cincinnati, OH. You can download a catalog from there website, Hollaender.com. You want to look under the "slip-on fittings" section of their "Products" page. There a few sizes of Speed-Rail fittings, the standard(s) tends to be 1-1/2"OD and 2" OD , as that is the size other companies (ie. Matthews / American Grip / Avenger) use to make additional clamps (truss) and hardware. Depending on the Speed-Rail fitting(s), you only have one or two tubing sizes to choose from. You can order directly from Hollaender, just download the order form and find their contact info from the "Order" page on the website. Also, you might be able find several lighting and grip rental houses in your area that periodically sell used inventory. When it comes to speed rail, as long as it isn't cracked, and the fittings are not out of shape, or bent, you should be fine. Also, you can buy spare set screws, for cheap, from Hollaender. I have run into a few key grips that keep a couple dozen spare set screws in their bag, as they have a tendency to rattle loose.

Regards,

jordan miller

RentCam, Inc.

You might want to check out Modern's speed rail spreaders; they make a neat little collar that allows you to "telescope" the spreader. You may find the price of these items prohibitive, especially when you compare it to just renting the 2x4 spreaders and buying the lumber. Also, it's easier to cut the wood than the aluminum. I don't know about the outside diameter (OD); what you'll want is 1 1/4" ID (Interior diameter.) You can buy set screws at Mutual Hardware. I keep my "lucky" set screw on my tool belt.

Just a quick note, Speedrail is aluminum, not steel. It is actually pretty easy to bend when you're hanging a substantial load on a piece of any great length. 1.5" OD Speedrail is a little stronger than 1.25" OD, but more expensive.

Edited by ChrisConnelly

Let's avoid any confusion about OD, outside diameter, and ID, inside diameter. I can't think of any instance in the past 15 years in which I heard anyone (in the film biz) refer to the outside diameter of a pipe. Also, it generally goes w/out saying that the thickness of the pipe wall is "schedule 40." Steel can be used w/ speed rail fittings; it depends on the rig, and the riggers preference. Generally, you won't use steel w/ a pipe-spreader, because of the weight. I have put one together though, over a long span - like 20'. I'm sure though that must have hid some vertical supports on either end, so it was more a combo goal-post/ spreader.

• Premium Member
I'm working in some small INT locations and I would like to make some sort of wall spreader.

The question becomes "how small?" Small enough and you might get by with a Matth-pole or Polecat. They can't take too much wieght, but how big a light do you want to hang in a small interior?

Let's avoid any confusion about OD, outside diameter, and ID, inside diameter. I can't think of any instance in the past 15 years in which I heard anyone (in the film biz) refer to the outside diameter of a pipe. Also, it generally goes w/out saying that the thickness of the pipe wall is "schedule 40." Steel can be used w/ speed rail fittings; it depends on the rig, and the riggers preference. Generally, you won't use steel w/ a pipe-spreader, because of the weight. I have put one together though, over a long span - like 20'. I'm sure though that must have hid some vertical supports on either end, so it was more a combo goal-post/ spreader.

My apologies, I didn't realize there was any confusion. I kept typing OD when I meant ID. :lol: Speedrail is always referred to by it's inside diameter, and 1.25 and 1.5 are the only types I've ever come across for rigging in the film industry, at least on the east coast.

In my experience steel has been more used for a truss or grid rigging, or as the vertical supports in a goal post/christmas tree type application as you mentioned.

Edited by ChrisConnelly

Thanks for the replies.

I am only hanging two small tweenies w/ barndoors off the wall spreader. I bet even an auto-pole would work but I don't want to have it fall on anybody.

I need to get a few steel safety cables also, the ones I have are just rope.

I'll post any pictures I have of the rig once I figure it all out.

• 1 year later...

I know that this is a super old thread but I can't help myself. Speedrail is NOT refered to by its inside diameter (ID). They use IPS sizes which happen to not be the ID or the OD for the sizes that we use.

"Pipe and tubing are specified in terms of their diameter and their wall thickness (keep in mind the term schedule number). With steel pipe the standard nominal diameters, in American practice, range from 1/8 to 30 in. For large pipes, more than 12 in, in diameter, the nominal diameters are the actual outside diameters, not the inside diameter; for small pipe the nominal diameter does not correspond to any actual dimension. The nominal value is close to the actual inside diameter for 3- to 12-in. pipe, but for very small pipe this is not true. Regardless of wall thickness, the outside diameter of all pipes of a given nominal size is the same to ensure interchangeability of fittings, sort of to set a standard that all companies can follow. Standard dimensions of steel pipe are given in this table. Pipe of other materials is also made with the same outside diameters as steel pipe to permit interchanging parts of a piping system. These standard sizes for steel pipe, therefore, are know as IPS (iron pipe size) or NPS (normal pipe size). Thus the designation "2-in. nickel IPS pipe" means nickel pipe having the same outside diameter as standard 2-in. steel pipe. "

~Jess