JVC GY-HD 110/111E

Janez Stucin

Hi,

First I must say that usually I'm working with film or SONY HDCAM HDW Hihg-def camera and I don't have a vast experience with this small HD cameras.

A week ago I've done some tests using sony HDR-Z1 and JVC GY-HD100. I've done that withot using any vectroscopes or other instruments of that kind. I've stoped reading manufacturing specifications some time ago and I simply trust my eyes. Manufacturers will allways say their camera is better then all others.

I've shoot a man on a blue sky BKGD with white clouds. Sun was from the side. there was also a deep shadow behind him. No additional lighting was used and it was a quite contrasty setting. Both cameras menu setings were set to zero.

When I've compared footage from both cameras in editing room I've noticed quite a difference. While SONY managed to keep details in whites and shadows JVC could not. With JVC I could afford 0.5 stop up or down while with the SONY at almost any stop there were details in shadows and whites.

Though JVC looks better and has an option to change lenses the image was less than satisfying.

Then we did the same test with the newer model JVC GY-HD 110/111E and the cameras(SONY & JVC) turned out almost the same regarding the contrast ratio.

Can anyone tell me what or where is the difference beetwen the two JVC models(100 & 110/111E)

Can anyone tell me why? Did JVC managed to improve their CCD. I really now little about technical details of both cameras.

The thing is that I'm discussing with a certain prod. company to purchase one of this models for a TV show wich is going to take place in all possible light levels and with very little additional lightng. so I require a camera with good dynamic range and if possible with a proper lens(not like sony has). So, I'm doing a research on pros and cons of both cameras(SONY & JVC)

Can anyone tell me what IEEE1394(JVC GY-HD 111E) interface is? It is suposed to sync more cameras to the same TC but how?

I thank you for any advice you have on the matter.

J. Stucin - DoP

TesTTube

janez.stucin@siol.net

The new version has an image flipper, so you can use the 35mm adapters and a 16mm lens adapter that's coming out later in the year. Chick on features and you'll find the differences. The CCDs are the same.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/view...r=jvc_gy-hd110e

The JVC has comprehensive menus, so you can add knee, black stretch and other features found on the HDCAM cameras. I suspect you're looking at the just out of the box set ups at the moment.

You can check the Texas Shoot out for more detailed info on the differences of all 4 prosumer cameras at DV.com They ea

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Patrick T King

Hi there,

I believe ieee1394 is more commonly known as FireWire.

All the best

Patrick

PS: It's not in the mode, it's in the medium!