JVC Hard drive out and lens questions

Alex Corn

Hi,

I will be shooting a comedy short soon and it looks like I will be using the JVC-HD100U. I am pretty pleased with most of the footage I have seen from this camera, but I have a few questions. First, I understand that you can output directly to an external hard drive and bypass the tape function, but does this bypas the HDV compression that occurs when recording to tape? Does this external drive have to be JVC's own, or can it be any external drive?

My second question is about the stock lens. This is a relatively low budget comedy short, so I do not need top-of-the-line optics, but is the stock lens good enough? Is it worth renting some better lenses, or will it be fine for my needs?

Thanks very much,

-Alex

Hi,

I will be shooting a comedy short soon and it looks like I will be using the JVC-HD100U. I am pretty pleased with most of the footage I have seen from this camera, but I have a few questions. First, I understand that you can output directly to an external hard drive and bypass the tape function, but does this bypas the HDV compression that occurs when recording to tape? Does this external drive have to be JVC's own, or can it be any external drive?

My second question is about the stock lens. This is a relatively low budget comedy short, so I do not need top-of-the-line optics, but is the stock lens good enough? Is it worth renting some better lenses, or will it be fine for my needs?

Thanks very much,

-Alex

Hi Alex,

As far as I know using the JVC hardrive you are still shooting HDV. I know that it's possible to take a signal out from the component which is uncompressed 720P. Quite what you need to then get that into a hard drive I'm not sure.

The lens is ok. It breaths badly and has serious colour distortion when an image is out of focus in high contrast situations. But on the whole it's fine. I would save your money and spend it on lights or something.

Peter

Hi Alex,

As far as I know using the JVC hardrive you are still shooting HDV. I know that it's possible to take a signal out from the component which is uncompressed 720P. Quite what you need to then get that into a hard drive I'm not sure.

The lens is ok. It breaths badly and has serious colour distortion when an image is out of focus in high contrast situations. But on the whole it's fine. I would save your money and spend it on lights or something.

Peter

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably not doing much racking, and this will be very low-con, so I'll probably just stick with the stock glass. As far as the 720 out, what format would you have to record to? HDCAM? Thanks again.

You can use an AJA Kona card to go directly from the camera's component outputs into FCP5. You can use a Decklink as well, but I understand the Kona card performs a bit better. The material would be HD component at 720/60p (with the frames repeated in a 2:3 sequence if you're shooting 24p) so be prepared to have a LOT of hard drive space and a fast computer.

• 2 weeks later...
You can use an AJA Kona card to go directly from the camera's component outputs into FCP5. You can use a Decklink as well, but I understand the Kona card performs a bit better. The material would be HD component at 720/60p (with the frames repeated in a 2:3 sequence if you're shooting 24p) so be prepared to have a LOT of hard drive space and a fast computer.

Is there any AJA Kona interface that can be used in a portable setup? If we are considering recording component on-location with a JVC HD100, then we would be using a laptop to download it onto an HDD.

How can it be computed HDD space vs HD component recorded time?

Carlos