Best Films During the Holidays

• Premium Member

Hi,

There's a whole bunch of stuff that's upcoming that I'm looking forward to - things largely that are on release in the US and will probably be out here in the next couple of months. I'm looking for some excuse to see Peter Pan, I love flying effects, but really - can I show my face?

We should have a thread dedicated to "Excuses for going to see kiddy films which you want to see for some obscure technical reason."

Phil

>>I'm looking for some excuse to see Peter Pan, I love flying effects...

A friend of mine is really into wirework, studying nearly every film (mostly classic Martial Arts films) that uses it, and comparing them to today's films and how the art of wirework has evolved over the years.

He always laughs when he sees the trailers for Peter Pan because they combine great wirework with kids who don't know how to fully take advantage of it.

I, on the other hand, can't really tell... ^_^

>>but really - can I show my face?

Here's an idea: Instead of going by yourself, gather up 6 or 7 of your friends to go with you, and look tough. That way, no one will look in your direction. ;)

Hey, one of the purest cinema experiences I ever had was going to see a Saturday matinee of Bambi when it was re-released in the late eighties. It was me, a couple of moms and 400 little kids--most of them likely enjoying their very first movie ina theater instead of home video. You could have cut the tension with a knife when Bambi's mom bought it. Wow.

paycheck was a great film. John Woo did not disappoint. his signature slow mo scenes and zooms were all in this movie. great story and Uma Thurman was hott! B)

the Operating from Chris Lundsgaard (sp?) was great. nice whip pans.

Phil you should definitely see this movie!

paycheck was a great film.

Paycheck was great?

I just can't see another film with Ben Afflect in in.

Too painful.

Really, the guy's acting just bores me to no end, if you can call it acting.

Will someone stop hiring this guy?

I just don't get it.

His brother is a better actor than he is, but then again, my auto mechanic acts better than him.

I've kinda had it with Woo's films, too. It's like watching a video game most of the time.

Him & Jerry Bruckheimer should get married, and spend the rest of their lives filming explosions & sell as stock photography, since that's obviously what they enjoy most.

Matt Pacini

LOL! yeah Ben looks more like a college jock/frat brother than a superhero, but that didn't detract from the movie.. despite its unexplainable twists... its good as a sci fi movie.. plus theres Uma.. :rolleyes:

yeah woo and jerry love explosions but thats why i go to their movies... the way they use zooms unconventionally and ramping up the image is what i like to see...

I saw Peter Pan.

OK movie, for what it is, but I have to tell you, we saw it in a theater with digital projection, and it looked like CRAP.

It was a Christie system, I'm not sure which one.

Really unsharp, sometimes strange color, but mostly just kinda video-ish, which I just hate.

Honestly, if I have to see this kind of lack of quality, I'm just gonna wait & rent DVD's.

This seems to me to be what's going to do what they feared in the 50's - kill the cinema experience.

Matt Pacini

I saw The Young Black Stallion in Imax, with children. I hate to admit that, even though it was thoroughly panned by critics, and even though its storyline is typical Disney family schlock, and even though one of the principal actors performed like a stone... I really enjoyed watching it.

Maybe I'm a sucker for whiz-bang-huge screen enormous resolution after all. Or maybe I'm a sucker for the Namib Desert. But I really think it was the cinematography that caught me. I have no idea who did it but I liked it.

John,

I'm surprised not to see more comments about Andrew Lesnie and Peter Jackson's triumph, Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I was mesmerized by the consistancy across not only the marvelous capper to the trilogy but across, the whole series; what was it, 9+ hours of screen time. Each shot retaining the hobbit to human size perspective for both people, odd size doubles, composites and props, the alliegance to the art direction, the seamless CGI and composite integration work, you know? The fluid dynamics of the shot flow, I could go on, but suffice it to say. WOW! More than just a good picture, a benchmark of collaboration. Didn't anyone else say at least once, "How'd they do that one?" I live for those moments. Anyway, one DP's humble opinion.

Mr. Lesnie, Mr. Jackson, just brilliant work!

Leon Rodriguez

Austin, Texas

Cold Mountain looked wonderful too, I thought. We can expect nothing less from John Seale. He's great.