Freedom of the Press vrs. Al Jazeera

Robert Hughes

I've noticed a lot of CNN footage nowadays is originating from Al Jazeera. Do they have a licensing deal, or is CNN merely ripping AJ off, claiming that it's news therefore public domain? If the former, are not CNN and AJ actually allied & on the same team (and that CNN is thereby also a terrist tool)? Or, if the latter, is CNN not engaging in video piracy?

Edited by Robert Hughes

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
When he says he is after spreading freedom...

When he says he's "spreading freedom", he's exhibiting a serious psychosis. Oh yeah, I forgot...We're fighting the Iraqis in Iraq so we don't have to fight the Iraqis in St. Louis. And the tooth fairy still owes me five bucks...

• Premium Member
I've noticed a lot of CNN footage nowadays is originating from Al Jazeera. Do they have a licensing deal, or is CNN merely ripping AJ off, claiming that it's news therefore public domain? If the former, are not CNN and AJ actually allied & on the same team (and that CNN is thereby also a terrist tool)? Or, if the latter, is CNN not engaging in video piracy?

It's the latter. They just record it off the air.

It's the latter. They just record it off the air.
So, not only deceitful propaganda but also video piracy now qualify as legitimate news under the "freedom of speech" umbrella, as long as you're paying off the right authorities? As I suspected, the whole system is rotten to the core... it's beginning to appear that OBL has been right all along. :angry: Edited by Robert Hughes

Jesus Christ. Some of you guys have Stockholm Syndrome.

Please explain. How does Stockholm Syndrome relate to this discussion?

According to Wikipedia,

Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response sometimes seen in a hostage, in which the hostage exhibits seeming loyalty to the hostage-taker, in spite of the danger (or at least risk) in which the hostage has been placed. Stockholm syndrome is also sometimes discussed in reference to other situations with similar tensions, such as battered person syndrome, child abuse cases, and bride kidnapping.

I suppose someone who is having his rights taken away by powermongers, yet continues to support them, fits this description...

Edited by Robert Hughes

And Nick..

""I hear many here talking so offensively about Islam as a violent and a women hating religion. For god's sake, quit this ignorant and racist attitude about Islam and Arabs.""

Women are still subjected to beatings (or worse) if they're caught revealing skin in many areas of the world.

I imagine the majority of Muslim women wear Burkhas and long robes because the choose to, but there are places on your planet where they don't have a choice.

BTW, do you know what the "Child Martyr" ritual is? It's more commonplace than you'd think.

""(Islam) is a religion of love and peace. Read Jesus' and Moses' real teachings, you will be wondering where today's problems come from.""

Islam, like Judaism and Christianity, is guilty of having violent, hate inducing passages if taken literaly. If we ever want a peaceful world, all religions should be taken with a grain of salt.

""Focus on the brutal and unjust occupation that is going on as we speak in Palestine. Terrorism is only a symptom of this cancer that no one wants to treat or consider. They do so because everyone is afraid of being accused of being an "anti-semite," which is simply not the case. Bad people exist in every religion, period. And this is not to excuse the violent behavioral response of occupied people against civilians in restaurants, buses and parks.""

That's just plain stupid. You prove time and time again that you have no knowledge of this region and furthermore, it's pretty obvious which "side" you're on.

IMO, and I might be insane, blowing yourself up at a dance club killing dozens of innocent Israeli teenagers , blowing yourself up in crowded markets, buses, bus stations, trains, train stations, skyscrapers, civilian checkpoints, restaurants, bread lines, elementary schools, theaters -- ALL ON PURPOSE is a lot more "brutal" than anything the US or Israel has done in the past 6 years to the Arab world to the best of my knowledge.

Sure, Israel had Baruch Goldstein. He was a right wing nut that opened fire inside of a mosque killing 29 innocent Muslims. And the US had Tim McVeigh.

Hmm.. I can't seem to think of any other American or Israeli terrorists. Oh wait.. there was the DC sniper.

(Please don't list the Bush administration or Tony Blair as "terrorists" because their middle Eastern counterparts are a hell of a lot worse and you know it)

Oh, and by the way, Seattle's Jewish Federation was attacked today (one women killed - five wounded) and Iran's president has officially outlawed the use of Western words, including "pizza" and "chat". A pizza in Iran is now known as an "elastic loaf".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/ap_on_...HNlYwN5bmNhdA--

And..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/5217424.stm

Please explain. How does Stockholm Syndrome relate to this discussion?

According to Wikipedia,

I suppose someone who is having his rights taken away by powermongers, yet continues to support them, fits this description...

RE: ""So, not only deceitful propaganda but also video piracy now qualify as legitimate news under the "freedom of speech" umbrella, as long as you're paying off the right authorities? As I suspected, the whole system is rotten to the core... it's beginning to appear that OBL has been right all along.""

Two planes destroy the WTC. The man behind the attacks (still hiding in caves) wages an all out war on Western values, Israel and practically everything decent and modern under the son -- yet some of you would rather put your blame on Bush, Blair and Fox news.

• Premium Member
And Nick..

""I hear many here talking so offensively about Islam as a violent and a women hating religion. For god's sake, quit this ignorant and racist attitude about Islam and Arabs.""

Women are still subjected to beatings (or worse) if they're caught revealing skin in many areas of the world.

I imagine the majority of Muslim women wear Burkhas and long robes because the choose to, but there are places on your planet where they don't have a choice.

BTW, do you know what the "Child Martyr" ritual is? It's more commonplace than you'd think.

""(Islam) is a religion of love and peace. Read Jesus' and Moses' real teachings, you will be wondering where today's problems come from.""

Islam, like Judaism and Christianity, is guilty of having violent, hate inducing passages if taken literaly. If we ever want a peaceful world, all religions should be taken with a grain of salt.

""Focus on the brutal and unjust occupation that is going on as we speak in Palestine. Terrorism is only a symptom of this cancer that no one wants to treat or consider. They do so because everyone is afraid of being accused of being an "anti-semite," which is simply not the case. Bad people exist in every religion, period. And this is not to excuse the violent behavioral response of occupied people against civilians in restaurants, buses and parks.""

That's just plain stupid. You prove time and time again that you have no knowledge of this region and furthermore, it's pretty obvious which "side" you're on.

IMO, and I might be insane, blowing yourself up at a dance club killing dozens of innocent Israeli teenagers , blowing yourself up in crowded markets, buses, bus stations, trains, train stations, skyscrapers, civilian checkpoints, restaurants, bread lines, elementary schools, theaters -- ALL ON PURPOSE is a lot more "brutal" than anything the US or Israel has done in the past 6 years to the Arab world to the best of my knowledge.

Sure, Israel had Baruch Goldstein. He was a right wing nut that opened fire inside of a mosque killing 29 innocent Muslims. And the US had Tim McVeigh.

Hmm.. I can't seem to think of any other American or Israeli terrorists. Oh wait.. there was the DC sniper.

(Please don't list the Bush administration or Tony Blair as "terrorists" because their middle Eastern counterparts are a hell of a lot worse and you know it)

Oh, and by the way, Seattle's Jewish Federation was attacked today (one women killed - five wounded) and Iran's president has officially outlawed the use of Western words, including "pizza" and "chat". A pizza in Iran is now known as an "elastic loaf".

And..

RE: ""So, not only deceitful propaganda but also video piracy now qualify as legitimate news under the "freedom of speech" umbrella, as long as you're paying off the right authorities? As I suspected, the whole system is rotten to the core... it's beginning to appear that OBL has been right all along.""

Two planes destroy the WTC. The man behind the attacks (still hiding in caves) wages an all out war on Western values, Israel and practically everything decent and modern under the son -- yet some of you would rather put your blame on Bush, Blair and Fox news.

• Premium Member

Hello TSM,

This is clearly a very difficult issue that no one will ever agree on.

Until this brutal and inhumane occupation ends, you are guaranteed terrorism.

I am going to repeat this again because people's memory is as short as the last post.

1. There was no Hamas before the Israelis' created it as a militant Islamic organization in the late 1980s to counter the more secular PLO.

2. There was no Hizbollah before the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982..

3. There was no PLO before the Israeli brutal military occupation starting 1967.

4. There was no Bin Laden or Al Qaida befor they were created by the CIA to destroy the Soviets during their invasion of Afghanistan. Pit Bulls tend to be difficult to control once they are unleashed you know.

Even your famous prime minister Menachem Begin was a terrorist according to the British when the Jews were trying to create their homeland.

Finally, as former Prime Minister Barak once admitted, had he been born a Palestinian, he ?would have joined a terrorist organization.? Bill Maxwell, ?U.S. Should Reconsider Aid to Israel,? St. Petersburg Times, December 16, 2001

Anyway, none of this matters. To each his own. Keep supporting the occupation TSM. And I don't mean this in a sarcastic manner.

Yours,

Nick Woods.

And Nick..

And..

TSM,

Why is it that you find it appropriate to take the name of the Christian Lord in vain?

You would react quite violently if I did the same for your religion.

R,

Oh. Sorry Richard. <_<

I've got both religions in me but I don't really believe in either one of them. I guess that means that regardless of the way I live my life, the choices I make, the people I help and the money I donate to charity -- I'm still going straight to the pits of hell, right?

Now on the other hand, if you start ripping on Steve Vai or David Gilmour then we've got ourselves a little problem. ;)

Guest Danny

Does anyone else here find it f..ing annoying how the world tries to be so politically correct nowadays?

Some people actually find the Union Jack offensive and say it should be banned. Black boards should now be called chalk boards. If people find that offensive they should deal with it themselves. I wonder if I moaned at chavs anyone would give a toss. (they don't)

Damn hippies.

Most extreme politically correct people I know are a bunch of posers and/or closet sociopaths.

TSM,

Why is it that you find it appropriate to take the name of the Christian Lord in vain?

You would react quite violently if I did the same for your religion.

R,

So would the Christian Lord.

Edited by TSM

Nick

A lot of what you say is truth, after all you are just passing on some facts.

BUT Islamic murder can not be put at the feet of Israel and Israel alone, we hear from these madman how they wish to destroy Israel. Kill every ZIONIST.

You seem to have made up your mind that Israel is to blame for the terror that the world has seen.

Some Muslims say that they must fight as one against the common enemy of Israel and the USA that are killing and destroying the lives of fellow Muslims. But where were the Islamic armies to stop the killing in Bosnia ? , where were the terror attacks against Syria's occupation of Lebanon ?.

As I have said before Arab leader use Israel and the west as a uniting force to focus hate away from their dictator leaders. Now I not saying that everything that Israel has made mistakes and some Very poor judgment in dealing with their Muslim cousins .

Does Israeli "occupation" account for what is happening in Africa and the far east ?

The murder in Nigeria ( remember Miss World a last year ) , the killings in Darfur .

No it does not Nick, or maybe you think it does ?

• Premium Member

Garth,

Your post begs this question. Do Arabs or Muslims hate the Zionists just because they're Arabs? Or do Arabs hate the Zionists because of decades of brutal occupation of the Palestinian people, and the displacement and disenfranchisement of millions?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the second. Why? Before 1948, there was no Israel, and there was no Arab Israeli conflict. There was no "terrorism," the type everyone is so concerned about. As a matter fact it's civilized Europe that almost exterminated the Jews.

Finally, your examples of shortcomings of Arabs and Muslims in Bosnia and Lebanon do not justify decades of military occupation of the Palestinians. But since you brought it up, here's my answer.

1. The Bosnia issue: None of the Arab countries have the military might to change the course of Muslims there. Also, the Bosnia issue was not really a Muslim issue, but rather a civil war in that country, that took on a violent clash between ethnic muslim Bosnians and Orthodox Serbs. Islam like Christianity spans the globe, and you cannot lump Bosnians with Arab Muslims, and make a sweeping statement like that. Darfur is yet another example of this type of conflict.

2. As for Syria's occupation in Lebanon, remember, there was and is still a country called Lebanon. Yes, many Lebanese resented Syria's influence, but they were still a sovereign country, and it's people could move about, and travel freely. They had their own currency, government, passports, etc. Also, Syria's unacceptable influence was supported by many Lebanese nationals, including the Lebanese shias. Even the current president Ehoud is a Syrian supporter!

Finally, you so conveniently forget this: The Syrian government did not build settlements on the land of Lebanese. It does not nilly willy throw thousands of Palestinians in jails, and cut off roads betwee the south and north of the country. It doesn't control the ports, the sea, and the air of Lebanon. Huge difference! The U.S., even when it invaded Iraq, did not send people from California to confiscate land, deny Iraqis their citizenship, and create massive settlements by claiming it was their Biblical land.

As for the Nigeria incident, that's a criminal and dysfunctional social issue in Nigeria. Once again Western media loves to associate anything negative with the religion of Islam, instead of viewing it as a criminal or social problem.

Why don't you mention the over 1 million chinese girls every year who are destroyed at birth because they are girls, and their parents need prefer boys. Please don't get me started with the horrific social problems in this world, including the abuse of millions of women and children yearly right here in the U.S.

And Gareth, what did that have to do with the brutal occupation that you just forgot?

Nick Woods.

The problem here is that generations of children are being born in squalid conditions, in refugee camps while the whole world including China and India are rising quickly. As we speak there ar e millions of Palestinians who are in refugee camps who cannot go back.

Nick

A lot of what you say is truth, after all you are just passing on some facts.

BUT Islamic murder can not be put at the feet of Israel and Israel alone, we hear from these madman how they wish to destroy Israel. Kill every ZIONIST.

You seem to have made up your mind that Israel is to blame for the terror that the world has seen.

Some Muslims say that they must fight as one against the common enemy of Israel and the USA that are killing and destroying the lives of fellow Muslims. But where were the Islamic armies to stop the killing in Bosnia ? , where were the terror attacks against Syria's occupation of Lebanon ?.

As I have said before Arab leader use Israel and the west as a uniting force to focus hate away from their dictator leaders. Now I not saying that everything that Israel has made mistakes and some Very poor judgment in dealing with their Muslim cousins .

Does Israeli "occupation" account for what is happening in Africa and the far east ?

The murder in Nigeria ( remember Miss World a last year ) , the killings in Darfur .

No it does not Nick, or maybe you think it does ?

Arabs and Jews have not always been historical enemies. In 1492, when King Ferdinand of Spain expelled the Jews from Spain, the Moroccan and Turkish Muslims accepted them with open arms. The cultural tolerance of the medieval Muslim world toward Sephardic Jewry was leagues beyond the comprehension of white Christian Europe.

A significant portion of the blame for continuing strife in the third world can be laid at the feet of one man: Sir Winston Churchill. He personally rewrote the map on large tracts of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, and in many cases he created arbitrary political borders that cut across traditional tribal lands, thus guaranteeing continued dependence in perpetuity on Great Britain for the new countries' security, financial and cultural survival. You could say that the amount of bad blood generated by WC was accidental and unintended, but WC was a very shrewd character and probably knew exactly what he was doing. He was a contemporary of Stalin, Hirohito and Hitler; because they were so immensely bad WC comes out smelling like roses in the history books, but on his own, IMHO the verdict would have come out quite differently.

Nick,

I never used the word HATE in my post, Do all Arabs hate Jews ? Shame on you .

Please do not use the term Zionists any more in your posts, this is not a negative word and I find your tone offensive .

Thank You .

Gareth Munden

• Premium Member

I'll say what I want.

Poor Garth, he finds me tone offensive! Sorry boy, didn't mean to heart your little bitty feelings.

It's all good buddy! Best of luck. ;)

Nick,

I never used the word HATE in my post, Do all Arabs hate Jews ? Shame on you .

Please do not use the term Zionists any more in your posts, this is not a negative word and I find your tone offensive .

Thank You .

Gareth Munden

I'll say what I want.

Poor Garth, he finds me tone offensive! Sorry boy, didn't mean to heart your little bitty feelings.

It's all good buddy! Best of luck. ;)

I asked you not to say it, thats all.

No need to be nasty .

AND YOU CANNOT SAY WHAT YOU WANT TO ME OR ANYONE .

sorry but you can't.

Hmm.. I can't seem to think of any other American or Israeli terrorists.

On November 4, 1995, Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated by a gunman in central Tel Aviv after attending a rally. He was laid to rest on Mount Herzl in Jerusalem.

Yigal Amir, a 27-year-old law student, told a magistrate in Tel Aviv's main court, just a few hundred yards from the scene of the shooting, that Rabin wanted to "give our country to the Arabs."

"I did this to stop the peace process," Amir told Magistrate Dan Arbel in a calm, even tone. "We need to be coldhearted."

It must be nice to have a selective memory...

Edited by Robert Hughes

• Premium Member
Iran's president has officially outlawed the use of Western words, including "pizza" and "chat". A pizza in Iran is now known as an "elastic loaf".

...and if they don't deliver in 30 minutes or less, they get their throats slit.

Please try to avoid this typical Republican straw man argument. You know, "It's wrong to criticize Bush... because bin Laden's a bad person". Or, "Fox News can't be criticized, since there's bin Laden." (Steve Vai and David Gilmour would never be suckers for that argument, not even Syd Barrett, in his current condition.)

On November 4, 1995, Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated by a gunman in central Tel Aviv after attending a rally. He was laid to rest on Mount Herzl in Jerusalem.

Yigal Amir, a 27-year-old law student, told a magistrate in Tel Aviv's main court, just a few hundred yards from the scene of the shooting, that Rabin wanted to "give our country to the Arabs."

"I did this to stop the peace process," Amir told Magistrate Dan Arbel in a calm, even tone. "We need to be coldhearted."

It must be nice to have a selective memory...

Good point. Rabin was a good man, too.

Well, that's the extreme Israeli right for ya. They're just as bad (and despised by most Israelis) as the Hammas and the Hizballah. They don't serve in the army, mooch off the government, give the rest of Israel a bad name and are an enormous demographic concern.

For the record, when Israel destroyed their settlements near Gaza, most Israelis were wearing blue ribbons -- pro disengagement.

Which reminds me of yet another Israeli terrorist. I forget his name. He was a right winger living in one of the settlements that were destroyed and I guess he just lost it and shot three (if memory serves me) Palestinians.

This kind of takes me back to square one; the root of all the problems in the world, the origin of hatred, racism, elitsm, terrorism, murder, sexism, anarchy, lunacy, slavery and human misery:

RELIGION.

Not God, his sheep.

Please try to avoid this typical Republican straw man argument. You know, "It's wrong to criticize Bush... because bin Laden's a bad person". Or, "Fox News can't be criticized, since there's bin Laden." (Steve Vai and David Gilmour would never be suckers for that argument, not even Syd Barrett, in his current condition.)

I'm not saying it's wrong to criticize the western media or Bush for that matter. He's a moron.

My point was that it's absurd to blame ourselves for being attacked/provoked into WW3.. even if our commander in chief has the mental capacity of an 8 year old. He's not helping, that's for sure, but to put him on the same page as OBL is totally out of proportion.

And Syd's dead, man. :(

• Premium Member
My point was that it's absurd to blame ourselves for being attacked/provoked into WW3.. even if our commander in chief has the mental capacity of an 8 year old.

I think you owe an apology to all 8-year-olds for that comparison.

The Hez by resolution is not even supposed to have weapons right now...yet they have more weapons than anyone ever thought. They are the problem.

Much of what we are seeing to day IS political discourse rather than true Israel hatred...but the result is the same at a time when Smart people need to remain smart.