Which type of lens mount for 35mm attachments?

Jason Banker

I am thinking of getting the Redrock M2 adapter for a Panasonic HVX-200.

Redrock can build an adapter to fit whatever lens you need, the question is what would be the prefered lens for this setup?

I have heard that using Nikon and Canon 35mm still lenses works out really well. Although this seems like a really cool way to go, I wanted to hear what the performance is like compaired to Super 16 lenses and even 35mm movie lenses.

Also I have read that a 50mm is a standard length lens for this system. What do you find yourself using most in the field?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

You'll want a variety of focal lengths, just as with any camera system. Would you want to give up the zoom of your video camera and have only a 12mm?

Motion picture lenses (from the same set) are optimized to match each other for contrast and color, and to minimize breathing during focus pulls. Still camera lenses may breath when pulling focus, and likely will not match each other for contrast and color.

Isn't the M2 groundglass sized for a 35mm frame? A Super16 lens set would put you at the really wide range for that format. A 9mm and 12mm found in many 16 sets is really wide for 35mm, and would "undo" some of the shallow depth of field you're trying to get by using the adapter. But you can of course use individual lenses from either 35mm or 16mm in a PL mount; the result is the same for both.

But you can use whatever you can get your hands on; I guess many people are using one or two still lenses they may already own and just dealing with the other issues.

• 1 month later...

I have the M2 with a Nikon mount. This is definitely the most common choice because of the fmount is very easy to find lenses for and because Nikon glass is very good, for SLRs.

If you want to own your kit, kind of the point of an M2, you should stay away from Zeiss sets. For that price you should stay away from DV/HDV.

Although they sell the M2 w/ a PL mount (extra $500) in which case you need to rent cinema lenses you might as well rent a high end adapter like the Mini35 or MovieTube.

I have a 15/28/55/135 and two zooms. All of which TOGETHER are less than one Zeiss super speed. The 28 and 55 are my most commonly used. If I had a f1.4 35mm I'd use that a lot too.