filter threading for older vario-switar lens

Shawn Gallagher

Hi All,

I have an older vario-switar lens on my Bolex, the Vario-Switar 18-86mm EE lens. I've been trying to get a filter retaining ring that will fit on the threads on the front of the lens. The lens manual says that "series viii" filters will work and I CAN fit the non-threaded "series viii" filters in behind the lens hood (which acts as a filter retainer), but I need to add another filter on top of that (which the lens hood does not allow).

I can't seem to find a "series viii" retaining ring that will fit on the threads and which would allow me to stack another filter instead of the lens hood.

Is the pitch of the threads on the front of this lens diffrent from a standard pitch? I can't seem to get any threaded "series viii" holders to take on the lens threads

Do anyone have any suggestions for attaching 2 "series viii" filters in front of the 18-86mm EE lens?

And if anyone has any hardware that would allow me to stack 2 filters on top of the V-S 18-86 EE and is willing to part with it, I would be happy to buy it from you.

Also another question: what size filters fit on top of the vario-switar 12-100mm POE?

As always, thanks for your help and expertise!! I'd be lost without all the help I get from this forum.

Guest Ian Marks

I experienced the same problem with that lens. The pitch of the lens threads seems to be slightly different from the standard. As you noted, you can fit one filter behind the standard shade, using the shade as a filter retaining ring, but if you want more than one, you've got a problem. I was able to find a clamp-on Tiffen filter adapter which takes Series IX (9) filters, which are plentiful and can often be purchased at bargain prices. The adapter is actually slightly too big for the Vario-Switar, so I wrapped a bit of gaffer's tape around the barrel to make for a better fit (which also helps prevent the adapter from marring the barrel of the lens). It's not a perfect solution - something that threads or bayonets to the lens would be more secure - but it does work, and I can stack those Series IX filters till the cows come home.

I was able to find a clamp-on Tiffen filter adapter which takes Series IX (9) filters, which are plentiful and can often be purchased at bargain prices. The adapter is actually slightly too big for the Vario-Switar, so I wrapped a bit of gaffer's tape around the barrel to make for a better fit (which also helps prevent the adapter from marring the barrel of the lens).

Hi Ian,

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. One question though: Does the Series IX adapter hold a Series VIII filter in front of the lens as well. (I have a sweet Series VIII tiffen diopter that needs to be close to the lens to work (I think.) and which I'll never have to take out)

Thanks again! -Shawn

Guest Ian Marks

I don't think it would work. I wonder if Bolex ever provided a double-threaded ring that would fit between the shade and the lens... I know I've never seen one, but you would think they'd have had one.

I don't think it would work. I wonder if Bolex ever provided a double-threaded ring that would fit between the shade and the lens... I know I've never seen one, but you would think they'd have had one.

You'd think Bolex would have, seeing that they used some strange thread pitch and all. I've never seen one either. I have seen a Bolex close-up attachment for the EE lens that fits on the threading. Couldn't get a good look at it though, someone was selling it with an EE lens on ebay. I asked if they would sell the attachment seperately. No reply. I wonder if that close-up attachment had female threads as well. The whole thing's a mystery.