Favourite Black and White Films?

Morgan Peline

Excellent topic! Here are some that haven't been mentioned that are, at the very minimum, important to me :):

SUNSET BLVD.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968)

SMULTRONSTALLET (WILD STRAWBERRIES)

PSYCHO (1960) (Other Hitchcock films: SPELLBOUND, SHADOW OF A DOUBT, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1934), THE LODGER, MURDER!)

CAPE FEAR (1962)

MESHES OF THE AFTERNOON (1943 short film by Maya Deren)

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

12 ANGRY MEN (1957)

STEREO (An early featurette by David Cronenberg)

• 4 weeks later...

Battle Of Algeres - G. Pontecorvo

If I remember correctly, Kodak worked on designing a new film stock especially for this film. Towards the end of the film - in a shot where the protagonists lives are slowly dissolving so is the film stock on which it is shot. It is grainy, underexposed - truly amazing and will give you goose bumps.

But other than that - this is one of the films that, at least according to me, one must see. Even though it was shot decades ago, it is still very relevant today.

cheers.

Yojimbo - (DoP-Kazuo Miyagawa) Like a lot of Kurosawa's other films, shot mostly on very long lenses but with lots of light. High f-stop kept things in focus. All of Kurosawa's stuff looks amazing.

Tetsuo (Shinya Tsukamoto) - Some very wild cinematography. Stop motion. Everything. Very inventive; definitely not polished. Lots of hair in the gate, which makes it that much cooler.

Pi (Aronofsky)- Some really cool high contrast shots.

Making it b&w in post is a good idea. Unless you really know what you're doing. Greens and reds look the same in B&W, so you wouldn't get the image you were expecting.

B&W FILTERS

MORE ON B&W

It's easy enough to put on "filters" in post.